Is there market demand for fresh oyster mushrooms (hongos girgolas) in Buenos Aires?

One of my favorite dishes here is Pollo al Champinon. It's on the menu of most Argie cafes.

I have seen champignones in a few old restaurantes . Pollo al champignon is very rarely seen these days . Other than this dish I rarely see other dishes with mushrooms . In Cataluna 4 provinces of Spain mushrooms ( setas) are very common and people are experts in the different varieties . In Argentina there is no culture of mushrooms as food . Not saying that this cannot change but imho people here are very conservative in their eating habits . Saying that veganism is growing very fast in Argentina and mushrooms if marketed properly can capture this market as its a high protein plant source .

Last edited:
You should go eat at, and talk to the chef, at Donnet. She makes all kinds of amazing mushroom dishes- its a vegan restaurant, and its pretty popular with Argentines, who havent gotten the news that they dont eat mushrooms.

Enoki mushrooms (Flammulina velutipes), with their tiny caps and long, skinny stems, are excellent in soups and salads but has any argentine ever tried them?

There are 100.000 potential clients for that who pay better that argentine for them. Do you see locals paying 1600 per kilo for alive crab?

I just dont think I know what every argentine eats.
Donnet is not expensive, and while it is sort of "hip" in terms of being run by an argentine chef under 40, its actually very funky, full of wacky junk, with old videos playing, and its in an old bar in Villa Crespo, not a new shiny space in Palermo.

Expensive is Don Julio.
Donnet is just good, and I have never seen a tourist there- its all argentines.

I cook a lot, I eat mushrooms at home too. AND at restaurants.

Anyway- Argentines are not all the same. They are changing, just like everybody else. Most (more than 50%) were born after the dictatorship, after the internet hit argentina, and they consider global culture interesting. In music, literature, art, fashion, and, yes, food.

I'm considering growing oyster mushrooms in zona sur and wonder if anyone has a clue whether or not there is a reasonable demand. I intend to grow them on small scale and market directly to high end restaurants and people who might be interested in buying small amounts on mercado libre but I'm not sure if there is enough interest in gourmet mushrooms in Capital Federal and around GBA. There doesn't seem to be anyone else in zona sur growing these kinds of mushroom so i figured it's a good idea (I have some experience), most of the mushrooms for sale are the typical white button and portabello for mass sale in the supermarkets, nothing medicinal or exotic.

What do you guys think?
I think: I hope you do it and succeed. Then I hope we become friends and you hook me up with Oysters on a regular basis.

Dear @Ries :

For me, I speak for myself, if there is a needle in a haystack, means I am not going to look for needles. I will give it up and admit there are no needles.
I am not going to Donnet for mushrooms.
And I am not going anywhere for corned beef, shawerma, bacon, chow mein, pekin duck, debrezine, mousaka, souvlaki, tziki, tandoori, tempura, Tom Yum, pad thai, kimchi, bulgogi, fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, surf&turf with lobster and shrimps, mango and cheese (could you imagine), on and on
What can I tell you?
Forget it!

Dear @Ries :

For me, I speak for myself, if there is a needle in a haystack, means I am not going to look for needles. I will give it up and admit there are no needles.
I am not going to Donnet for mushrooms.
And I am not going anywhere for corned beef, shawerma, bacon, chow mein, pekin duck, debrezine, mousaka, souvlaki, tziki, tandoori, tempura, Tom Yum, pad thai, kimchi, bulgogi, fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, surf&turf with lobster and shrimps, mango and cheese (could you imagine), on and on
What can I tell you?
Forget it!

And thats the point the local people of Argentina rarely buy mushrooms and they are rarely seen in kitchens of Buenos Aires. If you have to recommend a restaurant to eat a staple food this shows that it is a rarity .

Last edited:
Dear OP:
I am not a business expert but you have to know your clients.
Waiting for new internet generation Argentine clients sounds ... ummm .. how to put it words?
If I were you I would plan and count on foreigners only clients. Well,,,, if Argentines show up then it would be a sweet surprise.

(
Dear OP:
I am not a business expert but you have to know your clients.
Waiting for new internet generation Argentine clients sounds ... how to put it words?
If I were you I would plan and count on foreigners only clients. Well,,,, if Argentines show up then it would be a sweet surprise.

I believe that a good fried chicken place would do well as there are very few of them in the capital federal . Nola Chef is doing great guns with this business model and certainly there is a lack of good quality fried chicken in Buenos Aires . In Australia there is a chain of barbeque chicken places
that do great guns called Nando chicken . There peri peri chicken ( named after me

) is magnificient . They are originally from south africa and have been influenced from the portugese cultures of angola and mozambique who have imho some of the best chicken dishes in the world .
For smart expats this would work .

Last edited:
Back