Is this Fishy?

iamsillywarm

Registered
Hello I will be traveling to BsAs for the first time for a two month stay in early July. My question is... I am renting a studio apartment in Ricolletta and I just got an email from my landlord asking if I will bring her a laptop that she will purchase online and deliver to a computer store near me which she wants me to bring down to her when I come in July. She is not asking me to pay for it. Is this legal and could I get in trouble in any way for doing it? Feel it was VERY inappropriate for her to ask me in the first place. Thoughts?

Nahhh! Not strange at all. Electronics here are very expensive or impossible to buy. You would be doing her a solid favor by bringing a laptop. Be sure to NOT bring it in the original box....it should look used!

I think it's way too much to ask. You could also bring one to sell here but if customs looks at it and sees it's new they could charge 50% duty.

Is she going to pay this charge if it happens?

If you haven't already sent her a deposit for the apartment I could suggest you stop all contact with her and find another place.

On the other hand, it is one big point in her favor that she trusts you (a foreigner she has never met) to bring her a computer she has already paid for.

Life is full of surprises.

Everybody does this. Electronics are double the price here in Argentina. Normally it is done among friends, though. If you do this for her and she has no relationship to you whatsoever, she should at least give you a little off on your rent or something.

It ain't fishy. We crave stuff that it's either unobtainable or unaffordable down here. It's way too common to ask others for such FAVORS.

Yet, it's a big favor, you will have to spend your time getting hold of it and travelling with it. It will be your responsability and I wonder if you would volunteed yourself to bring it otherwise. Sounds like a big NO.

If you plan to bring your own portable (very advisable) then I would decline doing her this favor. Or you might need to explain Customs that one is your personal machine and the other is company property, for example.

Really depends on how well you know your landlady and if you're sure she's not making a dime on it but will keep it for herself.

From what you wrote, I would say no, tell her you are bringing your own and don't want to worry about two machines going through security. Just tell her the TSA is a PITA where you board.

My landlady asked me if my parents could bring her a computer from the US after I'd been living here for a few months. I said no. We still have a great relationship.

It isn't fishy. However, it is a risk for you. What if it gets stolen? The pro (gaining your landlady's trust) doesn't seem to outweigh the possible risk of theft or getting taxed at the airport upon arrival. Avoid possible complications...

If you are bringing your own personal laptop, NO way. Bringing two laptops into Argentina could cause problems at customs. It is all a crap shoot at customs. Some days no one cares, next day, forty questions. My way out of this situation is: Would love to help, but already bringing in my own laptop, phones or whatever.
Hate it when some unkown places me in such a situation, "could you bring me......"
Hell no, "you voted for Cristina and all this BS, deal with it."

A friend of mine recently flew into Ezeiza with a Macbook she had purchased in New York a few months prior. Customs told her she would have to pay the 50% duty on it, but she pulled some crocodile tears and they eventually let her pass. Personally, I wouldn't risk it...

If this were someone you knew well and really wanted to do a favor for, it would be a reasonable request to make of someone. It sounds like this person just wants to use you to make or save even more money though. If you haven't been warned, it's pretty cutthroat down here and a person's word is not worth much.
Best to say that you do not feel comfortable taking the risk and see if the place you plan to rent will still be available. Do not be surprised if it's not.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joe Expat Life 1
C Newcomers Forum 45
Back