Is Western Union asking non-residents for a CDI now?

steveinbsas

Registered
I think it's a good idea to start a new thread about this as some members might miss posts about this in the super long "Western Union money transfer" thread and, as a result, not be able to pick up funds at a WU agency if they don't have a DNI and a CUIL/CUIT.

This was posted yesterday:

Hey folks. picked up my western union transfer today and was told that i wouldn't be able to do another transfer without a CDI. Does anyone know what that is or how to get one? Neither I nor my argentine girlfriend have ever even heard of it.

It is not yet clear if the recipients of future transfers who don't have a CDI will have to have to provide the senders with this information in order for them to initiate the transfer or only provide a copy of the certificate of the CDI when picking up the funds and/or if this requirement only takes effect after X number of traansfersw or X number of months.

It's my "best guess" that AFIP may be looking for individuals who have been living in Argentina long enough to be considered taxable residents, regardless of their immigration status and perhaps even regardless if they have stayed in Argentina as a result of the "time freeze" on 90 day visas.

I can imagine AFIP telling anyone who stayed because of the time freeze that it did not give them an exemption from being liable to pay taxes on their foreign income.

Here's the info on how to get a CDI provided by gracielle:

How to obtain the Identification Code - CDI?
The Identification Code (CDI) has a temporary validity, since it is delivered for the exclusive performance of some procedure or for a certain period of validity. This Identification Number can be requested by individuals and by undivided estates only in cases where they do not have CUIT or CUIL, and are in need of opening a bank account, carrying out some type of financial operation or acquiring assets that imply their mandatory registration in official entities.

For foreigners who are not residents, the presentation of a valid and legal passport is sufficient.

Complete and submit Form 663, in duplicate, at the AFIP office that corresponds to the address of the person requesting the CDI.
Present the documents that correspond to each situation and that we have previously indicated in the required documents section, with an original and a copy. The AFIP will verify all the documentation that is attached and
will give you a sealed copy of the approved form and with the Identification Code (CDI) granted by said procedure. This is a free procedure and the CDI is temporary.

Form to fill out:

AFIP - to do inquiries by phone call 0810-999-2347 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

I think it's a good idea to start a new thread about this as some members might miss posts about this in the super long "Western Union money transfer" thread and, as a result, not be able to pick up funds at a WU agency if they don't have a DNI and a CUIL/CUIT.

I should have added "or at least a CDI" to the above sentence.

Iggysnacks also posted this:

is it...necessary? I've been here for over a year without problem. Is it reasonable to expect that when i go to another WU location they won't bug me for it, or is this a requirement i should take seriously?

That's what led me to write this:

"It's my "best guess" that AFIP may be looking for individuals who have been living in Argentina long enough to be considered taxable residents, regardless of their immigration status and perhaps even regardless if they have stayed in Argentina as a result of the "time freeze" on 90 day visas."

thanks for starting the thread Steve. to add a bit more general context - i do not have a DNI, and am here on an expired student visa. no interfacing with the financial system other than western union. in a year and 3 months i have sent 50 transfers of roughly 20,000 USD.

i agree that the most likely scenario is AFIP trying to rope in some extra taxes from those of us who've been outside the system, many of whom have been around for many more years than i have. very interested to see if there's any more anecdotes from members here with the same experience. I'll be testing with another transfer tomorrow to see if I'll be able to receive without a CDI. regardless, I'll probably switch to changing money with an irish guy who services a lot of expats that I know in Caba.

I went on Monday and had nothing unusual. Let's hope its another false alarm.

Have we actually had more than one person report being asked for a CUIT?

As far as I know, one WU employee told a non-resident (without a DNI or CUIT) who made about 50 transfers totalling "roughly" $20,000USD during the past 15 months that he would need a CDI to complete future transfers.

I am guessing the high volume of transfers and the gross amount may have triggered the request for a CDI-

I haven't heard or read about this happening to anyone else.

Back