It Finally Happened To Me -- My Ipad And Laptop Were Stolen.

My sincere apology Mis .... if I was harsh, ... I was.

In a foreign land .... you're not home ... .
In BA you do NOT expect to do what you do in TO.
BA is a different another world ...
In this Forum .... some always trying to prove a point ... "BA is less evovlved" .....
It's a constant nag.

Don't feel bad, what you've lost is not grave and can be replaced.
A virus would have wiped out all your data ...
Just have to re-do all the work again.

I've done much much more dummer things ... I should be the last to cast .......

Sincerely wish you forget every word I said .... and enjoy safe stay while you're here.

Thanks, khairy for rescinding some. I've done dummer stuff, too, hehe. Anyway I know I know, I was careless... I'm usually far more "on" this sort of thing, believe me! We have these crazy backpacks, for instance, with hidden, lockable zippers that we use, and slash-proof fabric. And I've even stopped hiding my pesos under the mattress... ;-P

The rest of our "year" here has been pretty awesome. And, as others have pointed out, this was not some sort of victimization thing, with violent attack or something like that. And I have alternate sources of e-communication... it's all good.

Me, Ceviche, ARBound, Canick, Gringoboy, Joe and Steve just got back from Villa 31 (where we expected your laptop and iPhone wound up). We kicked some doors in, turned over some tables, and generally made loud menacing noises. There were cries of, "Oh my god, the GRINGOS are here!"

We confiscated 54 cell phones (Samsung, Motorola, Blackberry, Nokia) 23 laptops (Sony, HP, Acer, Dell and Toshiba), assorted backpacks, 6 policemen's badges, a Direct TV antenna dish and a GE microwave oven - which we made Ceviche carry. Unfortunately, don't see your laptop or phone anywhere in this pile.

:)

OMG, you are HILARIOUS!!!! (Okay, well, except for the totally UN-politically correct poverty/ghetto stereotype schtick, but LOL!!! ROTFL LMAO!!! Thanks for making me smile at the end of this otherwise discouraging and mentally exhausting day. :D

And now, friends, I am going to let it all go, and move on and enjoy the rest of my BsAs adventure.... Thanks to some for their empathetic comments and emotional support, and thanks to others for the chastising and reminder lessons...

Have a good one (heck, have a good several!)

Good night!

I came in late on this, but I do wish you all the best. Please forgive those who were less than sympathetic.

And be glad the real ***holes of this forum apparently weren't online today. It can get ruder than **** in here sometimes :)

Me, Ceviche, ARBound, Canick, Gringoboy, Joe and Steve just got back from Villa 31 (where we expected your laptop and iPhone wound up). We kicked some doors in, turned over some tables, and generally made loud menacing noises. There were cries of, "Oh my god, the GRINGOS are here!"

We confiscated 54 cell phones (Samsung, Motorola, Blackberry, Nokia) 23 laptops (Sony, HP, Acer, Dell and Toshiba), assorted backpacks, 6 policemen's badges, a Direct TV antenna dish and a GE microwave oven - which we made Ceviche carry. Unfortunately, don't see your laptop or phone anywhere in this pile.

:)
We needed to try out my new mace sooner or later!

Hey, besides, we gotta show the House Appropriations Committee that Uncle Sam's dollars aren't just going to the BAExpats' Server hosting, Malbec, Casear Dressing & Assado Fund, we actually do CIA covert ops (of one kind or another).

I hope the campora doesn't see this post. I've said too much.

Wow, pretty harsh khairyexpat, no? Firstly, "He" did not mean anything, as "he" is a "she", thank you very much.

Secondly, why are you assuming I would take up the other helpful writer's advice to lie to the police? (I have not filed a report, nor would I -- I do not have insurance, nor do I have the naivete to think the stuff would ever be recovered.)
[background=transparent]RE: advice, police, insurance, filing report, .. [background=transparent]I assumed nothing [/background](not a word ... NONE)[/background]
[background=transparent]The OP was presented with lots of jokes, I only added my 2 cents to @lucha54's funny comment.[/background]

[background=transparent]Thirdly, I resent your comments regarding the lessons my kids learned last night. Yes, I was foolish and careless to leave the laptop case for a few minutes unattended. You know neither the day nor the week nor the month that has preceded this, and therefore you don't know my frame of mind in that fateful moment before I left the laptop case last night. We're all just doing our best, huh? As it turns out, my kids learned a very valuable lesson last about how to stay calm even when something really crummy happens. Instead of losing my temper, screaming, swearing, yelling, I facilitated a nice conversation about how not everyone is "bad" in BsAs, and about how these were not robbers, but rather, opportunists. Later in the evening, we talked about "what would YOU do if you found something that didn't belong to you?" and "Would your answer be different if you were dirt poor and you came across such a jackpot? Why?" and "What are some ways we were lucky with this?" and so on. [/background]
[background=transparent]As a little kid, I never believed a word my mother said.[/background] [background=transparent] I absorbed, sensed, had instinct, felt, .... talked, walked, , ... without her lecturing.[/background]

[background=transparent]Finally, I would like to address your Toronto comment: Not sure about *your* 'hood, but where I come from, when people find something that is not theirs, they turn it in to the nearest authority: counter, cashier, police. The latter then keep it, and turn it over to the owner, should the latter come by and make a descriptive claim. It's called honesty, integrity, helping the world run a little more smoothly. We don't take things that don't belong to us, even if they're shiny and exciting and valuable and just sitting right there in the open, the poor schmuck to whom they belong clearly having left them behind accidentally. We do our best to reunite them with their owners. I have witnessed this both as a finder and a "loser" over my past forty years in Toronto. While I understand that life is complex, and not everyone in Toronto is honest, and not every city is as safe and honest as Toronto, I feel very blessed to call it my home, and I feel sad that BsAs is -- in that regard -- somewhat less evolved.[/background]
Does the bold underlined statement mean what it says?
[background=transparent]The title was not referring to how to recover lost items.[/background]
The correct title should read: "I Finally Did It Myself. I Lost My iPad & Laptop" ...
OR .... "Is There any Chance I can Recover My Lost iPad & Laptop?"
[background=transparent]It's perfectly normal to forget and loose something (it happens all the time to anyone, anywhere, in many ways, ), [/background]
[background=transparent]What is not normal is trying to put a different title on it.[/background]

[background=transparent]I apologized immediately for not recognizing gender from Nickname.[/background]
[background=transparent]With all due respect, I sincerely feel you owe me an apology.[/background]

*a bunch of junk snipped*

Seriously? Come on! This poster got her laptop and phone snatched, admitted that it was her fault that she left it unattended, and now we are going to lecture her on raising her kids, the ethics of filling a police report, and who's homies are more moral / dangerous?

????

I hope the campora doesn't see this post. I've said too much.
Too late
e6r8rq.jpg

Well, the only thing missing now is ajoknoblauch throwing out an Ayn Rand non sequitur.

Carelessness can happen to the best of us - it doesn't mean you deserve to get your stuff stolen. I think the lesson here is never leave your things unattended, which the original poster learned the hard way.

Maybe check mercadolibre to see if anyone is trying to sell your items. There's not much hope in getting your stuff back, but might be worth a shot.

Back