It Happened To Me. Visa Entry Problem.

Chapeau Dr. Rubilar, even if we disagree on political terms, you know your shit ;)

better_call_saul_1.jpg

This is a good example of ethics and commintment of a professional above everything else. And to be there "cuando las papas queman". Also, a lesson to those who are more or less in the same kind of situation.

I would like to say a few comments:

1) The new administration has a different policy regarding immigration and the immigration agents are subordinates of the President. Most of my displeasure with the new administration is because I think that they are racist and my family is half/half Korean Argentine.

2) I always suggest to do not came back during January. It is difficult to find your lawyer and for him it is difficult to find a judge. And Judges get very upset when they have to deal with habeas corpus regarding re-entrying the country. They are working during vacations only for people who is in jail and their lives are in jeopardy. So, it was a very unusual habeas corpus where we were shouting each other at the phone until the Judge gave up and made the call. As I always say, Habeas Corpus is a very effective and fast resource because there are not formalities. I made it by phone, the Judge called Ezeiza right way. It was a 3 minutes procedure.

3) It is wise to fly from/to Uruguay and to come back to Argentina by bus. So, in the worst escenario, you are deported to Uruguay.

4) Do not arrive on flights during hollidays, weekends, night. The best option is the morning about 8 AM.

5) Forget about the Colonia runs;

6) Forget about trying to predict how many time you can do the colonia run or to overstay.

Regards

Any news on this serial overstay business and not being allowed back into Argentina ? I'm considering making a visit in the next few months but, during my time in Argentina over the years I have overstayed on three occasions. In fact, on my way out in October of last year immigration wrote a number next to my departure stamp that ended with a solitary "3".

I certainly don't want to experience a nightmare should I decide to return, but knowing Argentina there's no way to tell if I will or won't. I wonder if there is some way to suss out this kind of mess beforehand by visiting an Argentine embassy wherever one might be.

I wonder if there is some way to suss out this kind of mess beforehand by visiting an Argentine embassy wherever one might be.

I don't think that the employees at an Argentine Embassy or consulate will have the power to help you unless are applying for temporary residency (which means "having your docs in order"). They simply lack the ability to determine whether or not you will be allowed to reenter Argentina with (what will then be) four overstays.

Perhaps you could apply for citizenship before you leave. That would require shelling out some dinero in advance to one of the attorneys and then at least you would have one on retainer to get a judge's order to prevent your deportation if reentry is denied.

PS: Perhaps someday we'll know for sure exactly how many overstays are too many overstays, but that can't happen as long as it's up to the individual official at migraciones.

I don't think that the employees at an Argentine Embassy or consulate will have the power to help you unless are applying for temporary residency (which means "having your docs in order"). They simply lack the ability to determine whether or not you will be allowed to reenter Argentina with (what will then be) four overstays.

Perhaps you could apply for citizenship before you leave. That would require shelling out some dinero in advance to one of the attorneys and then at least you would have one on retainer to get a judge's order to prevent your deportation if reentry is denied.

PS: Perhaps someday we'll know for sure exactly how many overstays are too many overstays, but that can't happen as long as it's up to the individual official at migraciones.

Sage advise as usual Steve. Much appreciated.

We might criticise Argentina for its shortcomings, yet it never ceases to amaze me how tolerant they are with overstays and the like.
Perhaps that's the charm of living here; so many grey areas, so many 'a nods as good as a wink to a blind horse'.
Compared to the rigidity of the UK, US and other countries and believe me, I've got away with stuff here, it's like a game.
Sometimes fun, but often not.

Back