It Happened To Me. Visa Entry Problem.

LOL - I certainly wouldn't advocate children as a means of obtaining residency. They're a lot of work and very expensive ;)

Also yes, civil partnerships are a possibility now for directly obtaining permanent residency from what I understand although I still don't know anyone who has gone that route.

When I applied for residency, I brought both my spouse's and my child's documentation. The guy at migraciones asked me on what basis I wanted to apply, via my spouse or my child. I shrugged and said it's all the same to me. The agent said there's no difference... then proceeded to suggest I go with the child. Reason: you can divorce the spouse, but not the child. :wacko:

I had not been expecting that.

We went with the anchor-baby route. Unwittingly. Our daughter was planned...the easy path to permanent residency and citizenship was not.

Ben...so did you take his advice based on that logic? ;)

Reactions: ben
When I applied for residency, I brought both my spouse's and my child's documentation. The guy at migraciones asked me on what basis I wanted to apply, via my spouse or my child. I shrugged and said it's all the same to me. The agent said there's no difference... then proceeded to suggest I go with the child. Reason: you can divorce the spouse, but not the child. :wacko:

I had not been expecting that.
I had never expected to hear, but have heard repeatedly from shop clerks perusing my DNI when I buy anything, to the attending agent at migraciones :

Argie -... and where are you from?
me - Canada
Argie - and you live (OR want to live) here............. WHY? (with a look on their face - as if a caged prisoner)
me - dunno, ask the wife.

You get the feeling, like an omen; that things may /may not be so rosy (and truthfully, I've gone on cussing rants lasting a good hour or more when something so blatantly stupid elsewhere is a matter of daily life here), but I have nobody to blame but myself.
Hmmm, be single and up there in 9 months of cold, or wedded, child-ed and sweating buckets without power.
:huh: Tough one.

I had never expected to hear, but have heard repeatedly from shop clerks perusing my DNI when I buy anything, to the attending agent at migraciones :

Argie -... and where are you from?
me - Canada
Argie - and you live (OR want to live) here............. WHY? (with a look on their face - as if a caged prisoner)
me - dunno, ask the wife.

You get the feeling, like an omen; that things may /may not be so rosy (and truthfully, I've gone on cussing rants lasting a good hour or more when something so blatantly stupid elsewhere is a matter of daily life here), but I have nobody to blame but myself.
Hmmm, be single and up there in 9 months of cold, or wedded, child-ed and sweating buckets without power.
:huh: Tough one.

Yup, Canadian as well. Everyone thinks we`re nuts to be here (and sometimes so do I). I just went to the traumatologo the other day and I think we spent more time talking about his love for Canada than we did talking about my tendonitis...

Yup, Canadian as well. Everyone thinks we`re nuts to be here (and sometimes so do I). I just went to the traumatologo the other day and I think we spent more time talking about his love for Canada than we did talking about my tendonitis...

Poor Argies. When the temp. goes to 10 degree Centigrades, they start wearing monkey cap and turn on the heating in full blast. What the hell they will do, in negative temps there..

I am sure they are not sure what they are talking about.

Let's not forget the Argentinos that go to USA (or wherever), then spend every day of their lives hanging out with other Argentine ex-pats, eating like Argentinos, drinking cheap Argentine Malbec...

...and talking about "mi querida Buenos Aires"!

I knew and worked with many Argentines as well as other Latin Americans in NYC in the 1970s before coming to BA to live.
Most of the Peruvians and Colombians had little or no desire to return to their home countries permanently.although,that has changed in the last 10 years or so.
The Argies were always the ones who most missed and got the most nostalgic about their native country.It was something like Paradise Lost for them.
Now I sincerely hope that this new gov't works out if they all get behind it.So they can stop being one of the few countries in the world built on immigration that had to reverse itself into emmigration due to mismanagement and corruption.

Loving Argentina but preferring to live in a functioning country is not contradictory; in fact, it's perfectly rational (and yes, quite common among Argentinians).

Joeschmoe1920:
I, unfortunately ,have to agree with you on this point. For too long,too many older (over 50) Argentines were content to go abroad to get what they didn't know how or even want to know how to get here.They just cursed the "gobierno de turno" and left.I include the military gov't in that attitude because I lived here at the time and the vast but SILENT majority of them did nothing but take care of their own "quintita",Not exactly the "country building" type of person needed to change Argentina.
Presently,however,I feel that the younger generation under 40 are finally ready for that task.

Back