It's an Expat Thing: Unsolved Mysteries

haha I thought it was just me who got 'walking rage'. I guess it's because I'm from a small town, but it really irritates me when people stand around blocking the small sidewalks so you can't pass them, or walk side by side so you can't get past.

I noticed the thing about them not moving when they come towards you too. I guess my natural instinct is to kind of turn sideways and slide by them, but I really notice that when I have my bag on my back, and can't turn sideways, they don't move at all! They walk straight at me, so I stop and wait until they realise we aren't going to be able to pass each other. They eventually stop in front of me and we both crab-shuffle sideways. The whole process would be a lot more efficient if they just edged sideways a little when they see me coming from the other direction. I'm bigger than most people here too, so they would be the ones getting bumped worse if I decided not to make way for them.

Maybe I'm a country bumpkin, but WTF??

Oh, while I'm rambling about this - the worst 'drifters' are the ones talking on the phone and not paying attention where they are going. I've almost seen a few people get hit by cars doing that too.

In Argentina there is a prevailing mentality that there are "No Consequences" this is evidenced in the way they drive, build , cross streets, walk, vote and PLAN. If you add this to the prevailing attitude that "There is No Future" you will see why they do not understand that two objects of mass can not occupy the same space at the same time.

ghost said:
In Argentina there is a prevailing mentality that there are "No Consequences" this is evidenced in the way they drive, build , cross streets, walk, vote and PLAN. If you add this to the prevailing attitude that "There is No Future" you will see why they do not understand that two objects of mass can not occupy the same space at the same time.

PLAN????????
we dont plan

victoria said:
Why do some taxi drivers drive at night with their dims on or no lights at all?

Have you ever noticed that when they go through uncontrolled intersections they flick their headlights on and off to warn oncoming traffic? An Argentinean explained to me that they leave their headlights off so that when they do this light-flicking it creates more of an impact, and also you can see the lights better from another car doing said light-flicking if your own are off.

About the sidewalk walking... it's seriously one of the worst parts of living in a crowded city center. But many of my local friends complain about it, too! I think it does have something to do with arrogance - "Why should I get out of your way, you get out of MY way, b*tch." I also think some of it is just general aloofness/lack of U.S.-sized personal bubble/all of the above. On my worse days I throw shoulders and elbows into people that deliberately walk into me.

Finally, Peter Capusotto is effing hilarious.

argsteve said:
Somebody answer.. what is the deal with the walking???..I thought it was just me... But, people will not move or give you room when you walk down the street... normally if you see someone walking towards you ... you sort of move to the left or right... People here will just walk into you or just walk and almost knock you over or stop in front of you and will not move a little so you can walk by... .. it is very strange.. a small thing... but strange...... sort of zombie like..... I thought it was just me.. but a friend who was visiting after a week asked me...."what is the deal with the walking" so it isnt just me!!!

Well I'd love to blame this on as I tell my wife "Argentinians do NOT understand the laws of physics"... I think it's probably a city thing. Just like I have learned (and am still learning) to drive like an Argentine, I am also learning to walk like one too.

It's all in your energy. No fear... calm and assertive. Kind of like that show "The Dog Whisperer". If you show fear, apprehension, or uncertainty you are going to get run all over and dominated.

And don't think for one second that it's just the sidewalks. It's anywhere that is crowded, uh like Coto. The lady is going to block the aisle, even though she knows I am standing there trying to get past. She knows. And even if I politely say permiso she will sometimes still ignore me. But if I decide I intend to go by her and there is nothing she can do about it (NOT being rude) and then say permiso she moves right out of the way. Weird...

I can't believe this problem exists in BA. I find portenos to be very conscientious and accommodating pedestrians. In 13 weeks over 3 trips since 2007, no one has ever bumped into me or been even about to, not even children which amazes me. Nor do I find the sidewalks clogged. Sometimes, 2 or 3 people might stop to talk to one another, but I just walk around them and heck, that's what streets are for - to run into your friends by chance.

Sockhopper said:
I can't believe this problem exists in BA. I find portenos to be very conscientious and accommodating pedestrians. In 13 weeks over 3 trips since 2007, no one has ever bumped into me or been even about to, not even children which amazes me. Nor do I find the sidewalks clogged. Sometimes, 2 or 3 people might stop to talk to one another, but I just walk around them and heck, that's what streets are for - to run into your friends by chance.

hmm.. agree to disagree. I think it also depends, like a lot of things, on whether you are here as a tourist, or you are working here. If you're wandering around in no particular hurry, you probably don't notice or get bothered by people loitering around, or blocking your path, or taking up the whole footpath - you are more likely to just slow your pace and wait till your way is clear, one way or another. Personally, I live on Viamonte, which has tiny footpaths, and trying to get anywhere quickly soon becomes quite frustrating. I often find myself checking if there is any traffic coming, then darting out onto the road to get past people - I wonder how many times I'll get away with it before I get swiped by a bus?;)

I would like Macri to make an 8 block pedestrian zone downtown, with parking and bus access underground, to make it easier for everyone to get around in centro. I think he has something like that planned, doesn't he - with tunnels under 9 de Julio? Or did that get vetoed by some powerful Union or other?

Back