It's been almost 1 month since I paid, but I still haven't seen my car

haha. Yeah. It's kinds their fault and kinda not. They look in the system and if they see an available VIN number they sell it to you but they have NO IDEA when the car will actually be available for you. No matter what they tell you.

I would just wait a little longer. But if it's been 30 days and it's still not there, I would take a little trip to their office just to gently " push them " along. Good luck. You'll be paying taxes, parking and car insurance in no time :)

Oh and if it's a nice car ( 30K + ), take it to a good place to get washed and possibly detailed as soon as you get it. My car is Black and it wasn't washed properly at the dealer and had the little spiderweb lines all over it when I received it. I took it to a place called Autobrillo and they did an excellent job giving it a mirror finish. You might want to give them a try. Cars here retain their value very well so it's a good idea to maintain them properly.

http://www.autobrillo.com/

alicia30 said:
OMG yes! Alra on Av Gaona, the guy's name is Pedro... really nice guy until you pay him, then he disappears lol Well it's been 3 weeks so I guess I'll just have to keep waiting *sigh
Good thing that the subte workers are not on strike anymore!

Ceviche said:
Thanks. That sounds like a brilliant idea to me!

Will this work if I am new citizen of Argentina? But the entry stamps on my previous passport would still be there of course.

But I sure, loved your idea.

Yes, it will work if you're a new resident of Argentina. Do you have a DNI? Typically you're supposed to report all assets you have abroad including bank accounts but it's VERY rare to find a local that declares their offshore accounts.

Back when I got my DNI I ignored my accountant's advice and declared several bank accounts I had outside of Argentina. As an American I was so accustomed to not "cheating on my taxes". Boy I felt like an idiot soon after when I saw that it was foolish to declare them.

For the vast majority of ex-pats you don't have to worry too much about AFIP but if you plan on living in Argentina or doing business there then you have to really think things through and almost go about it like a Chess match thinking many steps ahead.

Typically just with the explanation of passport entry stamps that is good enough because they can't prove that you didn't have cash savings in a safe deposit box wherever you are from.

But if you wanted to go one step further, you could keep a bank account and just always write yourself checks from that same account and write checks to yourself and deposit them in another account. And you can keep the cancelled checks as proof for the "withdrawals" and say you cashed those checks and brought the funds down each entry.

Of course if you get audited you'll have to justify where the money came in the first place. But any American would have tax returns to prove that from prior years.

My best advice is to take the approach of a chess match thinking many steps ahead of time.

But you shouldn't have problems if you keep everything documented. I've had non-resident friends that used this approach when selling their properties. They bought properties many years ago and couldn't even remember how they got the funds in the country but they just showed their passport entry stamps and said they brought $9,900 each time and that was good enough for AFIP.

Back