It's Too Expensive Here!

I know this is an old theme but I'm interested if there are others who find the cost of living difficult to manage. With the dollar stagnant against the peso, I find my costs all the more out of control. The BA Herald had an article the other day predicting 45% inflation this year.

Getting back to the original theme of this thread:

Here's my list of my basic monthly expenses excluding food:

Auto insurance: $500
Home insurance: $350
DirecTV: $430
Electricity: $150
Gas (LP): $440
Property and municipal taxes: $120
Phone and internet: $400
Nafta (average): $500
Car maintenance (average): $500

Total: $3390 = $283 USD per month (@ $12 pesos to 1 US dollar)

That was July 15, 2015, obviously, less than two years ago.

Here's the same list with today's costs:

Auto insurance: $1000
Home insurance: $625
DirecTV: $700
Gas (LP): $625
Property and municipal taxes: $175
WiFi (no phone): $430
Car maintenance (average) $500

Total: $4705 = $392 USD per month. (@ 15 pesos to 1 US dollar)

So, that's almost a 40% increase (in dollars) in 20.5 months.

Comments:

I'm driving less and using less electricity and LP gas than I was in 2015.

With WiFi and a smart TV I am just about ready to give up DirecTV

Comments:

I don't see how this exchange rate can hold up indefinitely. The peso should fall considerably giving you some relief.

This was Chris' reply to my last post (it appeared inside the quote):

"I don't see how this exchange rate can hold up indefinitely. The peso should fall considerably giving you some relief."

Even though my "basic" expenses (in dollars) have increased by almost 40% in the past two years, and are now almost four hundred dollars per month, I'm not living a life of deprivation. I am considering giving up basic direct TV because it offers so little for the money.

Yes,it is getting more expensive to live here, but, at least for me, not too expensive to live here. That's because it would cost even more for me to live in a four bedroom country house (in a relatively safe area) in any other country I would consider moving to, including Spain.
emo32.gif

This was Chris' reply to my last post (it appeared inside the quote):

Yes,it is getting more expensive to live here, but, at least for me, not too expensive to live here. .
emo32.gif

Not too expensive Yet.

40% in the past 2 years. ?% in the next two years. ?After that.

There is a point at which we might have to consider other safe places.

It's not just basic expenses but overall expenses. You can do the math -- if the exchange rate stays the same and inflation continues how long until this country is MORE expensive than most other places?

Has anyone here visited/considered Sicily? We visited there in 2014 and lately I have been thinking about the cost of living compared to here. Checking Catania (much nicer than Palermo) I am seeing most cost of living sites say rent for a 45 m/2 studio in city center can be had for 400 euros + expenses of 100 +/-. Thats less than we have right in in Las Cañitas. We loved it there on vacation and think it might be worth checking out again for long term. Does anyone here have any experience?

Has anyone here visited/considered Sicily?

Italy has very high taxes and health system is not consistent across the peninsula (the northern you get, the better the services). Forget public transport in the South. Food is delicious, as well nature. You might encounter some racism - you will be know for being the outsider forever. You must speak Italian as there is nobody speaking English. You might consider somewhere near Sigonella, there you can find some English-speaking people!
Little respect of public spaces and things, terrible bureaucracy (Argentina shines in comparison). Not as friendly as Argentinians, unless you have family there, in which case....
Terrible reputation in dealing with foreigners, they'll try to rip 'em off in any possible way. The language barrier will be a problem you should take into account.

I have a virtual acquaintance in Calabria - she is from the USD and moved there many years ago. For me, where she lives is comparable to where you're considering. http://bleedingespresso.com/

It's not just basic expenses but overall expenses. You can do the math -- if the exchange rate stays the same and inflation continues how long until this country is MORE expensive than most other places?

Yep. I moved out of Buenos Aires in 2011 as I saw the writing on the wall of crazy inflation that probably wouldn't end for a while. While I think Macri is a huge improvement over CFK, and has implemented some good ideas..... he inherited a HUGE mess that will take several years to work itself out. The reality is that the people there probably don't have the patience to see it all through as it will take many years.

I had friends back then that said they would wait and see how things turned out. Most of them have also moved out. The ones that haven't are seriously considering it and putting their places on the market. What's helping several is they bought PH's or houses so they have no condo bills to deal with. That's a real savior as in most buildings the HOA fees are outrageous for what you actually get.

I still like to visit, but I can't see moving back there anytime soon. Just too many other wonderful places around the world with high quality of life, better cost of living, etc.

.....While I think Macri is a huge improvement over CFK, and has implemented some good ideas..... he inherited a HUGE mess that will take several years to work itself out. The reality is that the people there probably don't have the patience to see it all through as it will take many years....

.....What's helping several is they bought PH's or houses so they have no condo bills to deal with. That's a real savior as in most buildings the HOA fees are outrageous for what you actually get.

I am one of those who, in 2004, bought a PH in Caballito. That is indeed a real savior!

Comments:

COULD YOU UPDATE THIS -- CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT DIFFERENCE NEARLY SIX MONTHS MAKES. THANKS....

Back