I've Found the Most Argentine Thing Ever

camberiu

Registered
Bored because of the lockdown and I was randomly browsing the Internet when I bumped into this: How a Baby Staked Argentina’s Claim on Antarctica

Basically, in 1977 Argentina intentionally sent a pregnant woman to Antarctica, had her give birth there, and used the baby to reinforce its territorial claims.
I does not get any more Argentine than this folks.

Bored because of the lockdown and I was randomly browsing the Internet when I bumped into this: How a Baby Staked Argentina’s Claim on Antarctica

Basically, in 1977 Argentina intentionally sent a pregnant woman to Antarctica, had her give birth there, and used the baby to reinforce its territorial claims.
I does not get any more Argentine than this folks.

The name of the child was Antartico Argentino San Martin

When we went to Antarctica on the National Geographic Explorer, the guides explained the many ways countries make territorial claims to land. Think of the many ways:

1. Who discovered it first
2. Who set foot on it first
3. Whose military is strongest
4. Who lives on it (Why do you think Argentina wanted people to live in Ushuaia?)
5. Who gives birth there / who was born there?
6. Whose land is closest to it (Argentina has a legit claim here).
and so on ...

You can get even more ridiculous with "Who's god was from there, according to some book"? (e.g. jesus and the middle east). Basically this falls back to #3 above.

Anyway, sending women to give birth in a place is one of the ways to make territorial claims, and it happened before Antarctica.

Anyone here with an Argentine passport? Look at the back. Notice it includes Antarctica? When we went by boat to Antarctica, we never went through customs in or out. We never left Argentina.

1590430775815.png

Explorer:
1590430837844.png

When we went to Antarctica on the National Geographic Explorer, the guides explained the many ways countries make territorial claims to land. Think of the many ways:

4. Who lives on it (Why do you think Argentina wanted people to live in Ushuaia?)
(edited for brevity)

Very interesting

5. Who gives birth there / who was born there?
6. Whose land is closest to it (Argentina has a legit claim here).
and so on ...

You can get even more ridiculous with "Who's god was from there, according to some book"? (e.g. jesus and the middle east). Basically this falls back to #3 above.

Anyway, sending women to give birth in a place is one of the ways to make territorial claims, and it happened before Antarctica.

Anyone here with an Argentine passport? Look at the back. Notice it includes Antarctica? When we went by boat to Antarctica, we never went through customs in or out. We never left Argentina.

View attachment 6967

Explorer:
View attachment 6968

Very interesting,so I told my niece that Ushuaia was in Antarctica, she asked her teacher who told her it wasn't correct?.

Very interesting,so I told my niece that Ushuaia was in Antarctica, she asked her teacher who told her it wasn't correct?.

I didn't mean to imply that Ushuaia was in Antarctica. Populating an area is a general strategy used to establish or strengthen claims to an area. Above, I mean that Argentina wanted more Argentines living in Tierra del Fuego so that Chile would be less likely to have a claim to it. I think they may still pay people who live there some kind of subsidy (I'm not sure on this, someone fact check me).

The citizenship law even has (or had?) provisions for granting citizenship to those who went to Tierra del Fuego: "También podrán obtener la naturalización cualquiera sea el tiempo de su residencia los extranjeros que acrediten las siguientes circunstancias: ... e) habitar o promover el poblamiento del Territorio Nacional de la Tierra del Fuego, Antártida e Islas del Atlántico Sud"

Back