Javier Milei's ideology

Irelander

Registered
This podcast episode by refreshingly non-political Irish economist David McWilliams, a frequent visitor to Argentina, is a good overview of Javier Milei's ideology:

It was certainly interesting to hear what it was that Murray was on about. By naming his dogs the way he does, Milei makes it pretty easy for interested observers to work out where he is coming from.

McWilliams takes us to the logical endpoint of Milei’s ideology: Argentina as the 52nd and poorest state of the union. He then says that is the 85% probable outcome if Milei is allowed to take it that far. The remaining 15% chance is that “Milei gets it right; Argentina turns it around, under American dominion.” If a still poor (and now subjugated) Argentina is the overwhelmingly likely result that Milei doesn’t see and wouldn’t want, I’m not clear on what the unlikely (only 15%) but more positive result (the result Milei presumably does see and is aiming for) looks like. Where, in the logic sequence of events that McWilliams presents, might things go right instead of wrong?

Not mentioned in the podcast is the other point that others have made locally about anarchocapitalism: taken to its extremes, there are no borders, no nations and thus no need for defence forces. And how would that sit with the likes of Villaruel, if she realized? And has Milei even thought through his own ideology fully enough to realize that where it ends?

A couple of other points. Has anyone heard Milei saying anything admiring about Putin? I haven’t. Also, he mentions Lousteau as now being part of the opposition. I wonder about that. The Radicals do seem to be in an awkward position now. The opposition, in parliament at least, will led by the Peronist blocks in both chambers. If the Radicals now want to be opposition, that puts the two groups now into alliance.

All predictions about what Milei will or will not do undermine the principles of democracy itself. It ultimately depends on what he is permitted to do. I am certain that boundaries have been set for him, lines that he should not cross. He will need to navigate through some challenging situations.

He is likely to clash with the gremios, sindicatos, Peronists, and the Pro party. His power to enact changes through executive orders is limited, especially those that must adhere to constitutional standards. For instance, the idea of dollarization fails this test. Remember, he agreed to form a coalition government with JxC.

Argentina is rich in natural resources like petroleum, natural gas, lithium, among others. If Milei can effectively utilize these resources, it could generate significant revenue. Reforming the tax code and labor laws might incentivize investment in the country, but this won't be easy or immediate. If investors observe real changes and are assured that Argentina won't revert to its old ways, then it might attract foreign investment that Macri couldn't secure. However, these are significant 'ifs.'

Have you been to Cuba recently?
I'm not sure what your question has to do with anything, but yes. I was actually in Cuba when I wrote this. BTW, I lived there for 3 years. Now, please answer my question. Have YOU ever been to Cuba, or are you merely going on regurgitated information that you've heard from others?

I'm not sure what your question has to do with anything, but yes. I was actually in Cuba when I wrote this. BTW, I lived there for 3 years. Now, please answer my question. Have YOU ever been to Cuba, or are you merely going on regurgitated information that you've heard from others?
Yes, I have. The situation is dire. People survive with the aid of friends and relatives living abroad, young people are leaving in droves.

Yes, I have. The situation is dire. People survive with the aid of friends and relatives living abroad, young people are leaving in droves.
Would you kindly explain EXACTLY what Cuba today has to do with Cuba in 1965, when Che left? BTW, your description, "The situation is dire. People survive with the aid of friends and relatives living abroad; young people are leaving in droves." It sounds as though you are also describing America.

Back