Jeep Cherokee

afonso

Registered
Hi all,

I want to buy a used Cherokee (the classic squared model) here in Argentina. Does anyone have any previous or current experience with this model? Are the services expensive? What about the spares - are they easily available or do we have to wait for them to be shipped from the US?

Also, I was thinking of the 4-litre petrol engine but with GNC - gas. Is this fairly and easily available? I heard that sometimes during the winter there are problems in supplying this to the petrol stations. Is this true?

Cheers!

"afonso" said:
Hi all,

I want to buy a used Cherokee (the classic squared model) here in Argentina. Does anyone have any previous or current experience with this model? Are the services expensive? What about the spares - are they easily available or do we have to wait for them to be shipped from the US?

Also, I was thinking of the 4-litre petrol engine but with GNC - gas. Is this fairly and easily available? I heard that sometimes during the winter there are problems in supplying this to the petrol stations. Is this true?

Cheers!
Yes, no, depends on where you go, and yes, depends on the part that is to be replaced since it is not a common vehicle here.As for your 2nd paragraph, You can convert any gasoline car to run GNC but it is around $1000ish, it will lower your fuel costs, and expect a power loss on the rutas. Last but not least, the answer to your last question is YES, especially with the weather the way it is here right now. It snowed in Buenos Aires for the 1st time in 89 years on July 9 last year.

I had a Jeep "sport" 91 for about 5 years.. no problems at all. Of what I understand... the most important thing is to get a Jeep with 4 cylinders... don't do the 6 or 8... They have been making them (4)since World War II... have barely changed in design... If it ain't broke..don't fix it..

Jeep Cherokee Sport (s)... Let's see.. I drove both a -92 V-6 (2 wheel drive) and a-95 V-6 4x4.. I have never seen a cherokee with a 4 cyl. engine. The wrangler is offered in a 4 cyl. (this is in the U.S., however) I do see the ocasional cherokee on the streets down here / not often. Now in the U.S., it's tough to give them away. You can get a late 90's Cherokee in the states with less than 150K miles for around $2-$3 K. The thing is, the engines won't last much longer. I'm sure in Argentina they would be three times that cost, as are all used cars. They are a lot of fun when young.. thirsty engines... a lot of good power. If you want something that will actually last and not leave you stuck on some desserted road, look into Toyota (Hilux). They will cost you a grip more upfront, but worth it in the end with dependability and resale value. My last vehicle before leaving the states was a -94 toyota pickup 4x4. Let's just say, I won't own any other truck from now on. It NEVER let me down, and I drove that thing in places where no vehicle should ever be. Good luck with the search..

Back