Job Offer

simonmicheal

Registered
I've been offered a job in Buenos airies, salarly is 1500 USD a month. Will this be enough money to have a decent standard of living? And how much will I be able to save after rent food etc

Thanks

simonmicheal said:
I've been offered a job in Buenos airies, salarly is 1500 USD a month. Will this be enough money to have a decent standard of living? And how much will I be able to save after rent food etc

Thanks

Half your salary could go for rent if you want to live alone in a decent apartment.

Not knowing what you consider decent makes it difficult to answer your question.

That could leave less than $200 per week for everything else IF the $1500 is "take home" pay.

Will you want medical insurance if it is not provided by your employer?

That will be about $100 if you enroll in a group plan.

You won't starve, but you'll probably find yourself on a fairly tight budget.

Savings is doubtful, but if you are willing to rent a room and share an apartment with others, you can significantly reduce that cost.

With the current exchange rate, you are looking at over $5000 pesos per month, which is considered a good salary for an Argentine. However, if you are paying rent in dollars, like steveinbsas said you wont have a load of money left over to play with each month. However if you can find a share for let's say $500 U$D or less, you could have about $3,000 pesos per month to spend on food, entertainment, etc. With $3,000 pesos per month you could certainly enjoy yourself here, as long as you are not going out to eat in Puerto Madero every night. There are many people here that earn less than $3,000 pesos per month here, and they have to pay rent, utilities, food, entertainment, etc. out of that. Again it all depends on the type of lifestyle you want to have here in Buenos Aires.

simonmicheal said:

Thanks

B.A. is not expensive but is not cheap. The cost of living is about the same as the average U.S. city. Imagine trying to live on $1500 the U.S. and you will answer your own question.

Depends what you consider a good quality of life, and what that involves for you

i think most young expats would be happy on that.

If you are going to rent your own apartment, what Steve said!

Is your company going to provide you with a guarantia for you to rent a regular unfurnished long term apartment?

If so, then take 25% of your salary for rent. That would be about A$R1250. With that money you can certainly find a nice one bed or studio in Palermo/B.Norte/Belgrano. And then you take out 25% for taxes & that leaves you with A$R2500 to live on per month. That's not so bad. You won't be living like a rock star, but not bad either.

I would negotiate with the company to make sure they provide you with a guarantia. If they don't you will pay a lot of money in rent.

The company is going to wire the money straight to my english account so i won't pay any taxes.

It really depends on your living situation. For example, I live in a homestay where my rent is less than $400 a month. Then again, the best paying job I ever had brought me around $400 a month, and that was in the U.S., where I was living with my parents after I graduated from college, so that amount of money sounds good to me.

I know of people who live off less than 1,500USmonth. It just depends on how well you budget. I think your rent will be a majority of your money spent. If the company is going to wire the money into your English account make sure if you use an ATM here that you won't get fees incurred for withdrawals.

Back