Job Offer

mini said:
You really should discuss the guarantia thing with your employer. They should know that you won't have one & that you need one to get a "regular" apartment.

Thanks, Mini, that's great advice, but simonmicheal also needs to keep in mind that a "regular" apartment will probably not be furnished: no refrigerator, TV, bed (or futon), furniture, washing machine, kitchen items, etc. It would cost well over a thousand dollars to minimally furnish a small apartment. If the BA honeymoon is short, the liquidation of those furnishings would surely yield a net loss.

Steve you´re completely correct, you can´t get a furnished, all-expenses paid apartment with 2 bedrooms for U$S 300 a month. But nobody expects that anyway...
Furnished, all expenses paid apts are directed mostly to foreigners, so of COURSE they´re going to be expensive! You get what you pay for, of course! But what I am saying is that 1500 DOLLARS a month is a great salary here. Now whether that allows you to live like you did in america, probably not, and that´s something the original poster needs to consider himself. You won´t probably live like most americans do, but you have to weigh up the benefits and disadvantages yourself. Many peoeple choose to live here anyway, and there are various reasons why they do.

About whether I am upset by illegal foreigners ´taking´ argentines´ jobs: are you kidding? how many americans come here to work for what argentinians get paid, under the table? You´ve got some young people teaching english (myself included) but I don´t know of terribly many other cases. And your english teachers are NOT taking away argentine jobs - a native english speaker, believe it or not, is one qualification no argentine will never have (except rare cases), so when you talk about ´taking away jobs´ you usually talk about taking away jobs that natives can do, not jobs that they can´t do or don´t do as well.

And if this bank garantia thing is true, I stand corrected. I had never heard of it, and my boyfriend´s family has a apartment rental business. But maybe they have just never told me about this :) If it´s true this is certainly great news...because the garantia thing can be a real problem even for argentines, especially those from the interior!

Well I hope the original poster has not been totally scared away by all of this talk. Even if he decides to rent a furnished apt here and not have roommates, he should be able to live a very decent life on what is left over (500 dollars a month is MORE than enough to live on, excluding rent). It´s really something that´s up to him, not to what we humble people think...:)

Thanks for all your post guys and girls, your advice has been very useful and can hopefully help other readers if they are in the same situation as myself. I've decided to visit argentina first for a couple of weeks and decide on the living situation for myself. If I stay then i'll rent shared apartment which seems the most practical solution. I dont see myself saving any money but I also don't see myself working inpractical hours or having a heavy work load for low wages, sorry if I offend anybody by that last statement. So I intend to have a comfortable standard of living i.e eat out most night, party excercise and study, meet new friends and sample south america. Why not :)

Great! I´m glad you decided to come visit - you´ll see whether you love it or hate it :)

I earned (recently unemployed) 4000 pesos a month which is just a little less than that and live a very high quality of life. Fortunately I only pay about 300 pesos a month for a nice apartment in Barrio Norte that my Argentine friend's family owns so I am able to put $2700 towards food and entertainment. It works out to spending just a little less than 100 pesos a day. Some days it is more, some days it is much less. I cook for myself about half the time and go out to nice restaurants the other half. I go out to decent clubs two or three nights a week. Most Argentines would be very happy with your salary.

Back