Job Vacancy: Personal Administrative Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhilipDT said:
Seems like tax evasion to me. In addition to the wage difference this UK company is saving on paying any taxes for the employee.

For sure..thats why its called outsourcing..and thats why millions of jobs have been transferred overseas. Maybe because I have worked mostly for US Corps, doing exactly the same with their ofices in China and India I don't understand the level of expats denial and condemnation of what to me is a standard business practice. not illegal and far from abusive except in the eyes of an expat who feels he/she is worth much more. As you said previously, if it's such a crap offer there will no takers...but I doubt it. I sound like Im defending these guys when I don't even know them, but I am defending the concept of purchasing value services where you can and hence have the mentality that I will live and work wherever I can rather than cleave to that old adage that my job belongs to me by right and by the US constitution!

Reactions: jb5
Taxes must be levied against countries who don't offer the same social protection as we do (Our societies need to have a working class in China & India who benefits from the right to strike & such also)

Anyway, they'll hire someone competent who won't last much or someone incompetent muerto de hambre so there's a justice !

fifs2 said:
For sure..thats why its called outsourcing..and thats why millions of jobs have been transferred overseas. Maybe because I have worked mostly for US Corps, doing exactly the same with their ofices in China and India I don't understand the level of expats denial and condemnation of what to me is a standard business practice. not illegal and far from abusive except in the eyes of an expat who feels he/she is worth much more. As you said previously, if it's such a crap offer there will no takers...but I doubt it. I sound like Im defending these guys when I don't even know them, but I am defending the concept of purchasing value services where you can and hence have the mentality that I will live and work wherever I can rather than cleave to that old adage that my job belongs to me by right and by the US constitution!

No, I agree. But, whether here in argentina or there in england, if services are being performed for compensation part of the proverbial pie needs to go to taxes. Dodging that is and should be illegal.

I think there's quite a difference here : there's a daily schedule with precise timings. It's like having an employee (subordination criteria?), it's not being independent by my standards.

PhilipDT said:
No, I agree. But, whether here in argentina or there in england, if services are being performed for compensation part of the proverbial pie needs to go to taxes. Dodging that is and should be illegal.

He hires a contractor. As a rule of thumb, taxes are paid where work is performed. It is a responsibility of contractor to pay taxes on his income. When payment hits the bank, local government (well, actually, local equivalent of IRS) asks for a justification, finds out that it is income for services performed, and collects the taxes.

If he uses a creative method of payment (western union, for example), his goverment does not qualify payments as business expenses, so they are not subtracted from his profits and he pays taxes on his income.

So, assuming everybody does what he is supposed to do, I don't see any reason to assume that any tax evasion is going on here.

Some companies are much more creative in this respect and still nobody says that they are doing something illegal.

I do not know why so many people are suprised that an expat is offering low paying jobs in Argentina as it seems to be common in my experience. I have found to my suprise Argentinian employers to be more generous and caring of employees than many foreign companies who believe that for less than 1000 dollars a month they will have a willing slave.
What many do not understand is wages have increased substantially over the years and with the outrageous inflation that we are living in anything less than 5000 pesos a month seems like exploitation!!!

fifs2 said:
MizzMarr said:
Try again. $10 an hour in the US would work out to approximately $6400 pesos a month, or $40 pesos an hour at 40 hours week. $3000 pesos, therefore, works out to $18.75 pesos an hour, or $4.68 US an hour. That's also calculating at 4:1, which is slipping more in favor of the dollar.

You are kidding, right?
Tell me you don't think I'm that dumb.

JoeBlow said:
You are kidding, right?
Tell me you don't think I'm that dumb.

I admit I did misread your initial message, and realized after posting that you were making a more relative than direct comparison (been pretty tired lately:rolleyes:). So, naw, though I do think one would be better off earning $10/hr in the States than $19 pesos/hr here... .

PhilipDT said:
We're not going to fault them for trying. And they cant fault us for giving them shit

fifs2 said:
As you said previously, if it's such a crap offer there will no takers...but I doubt it.

This is not really a debate about what is right, it is an argument over facts. Either any (or most, or at least the average) expat will look at this offer and share the sentiment of most posters here, and then that sentiment will be proven by the facts (no applicants);
either that or, while people here are trashing them, 15 others have quietly sent in their resumes. I personally doubt it, but anything is possible. If that is the case, then obviously the OP has no duty to offer more than someone will willingly work for.

This is capitalism: no need to denounce anyone for making an offer. If you don't like the offer, JUST SAY NO. Or, for that matter, say nothing. Polite silence will convince the OP far more than indignation.

The OP troll has not returned. Must have scored his fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back