jonesin for a burrito and a margarita

RogueTango

Registered
in a place with colorful whirlygigs hanging from the ceiling. lol

any suggestions?

I'm not sure about the margarita, but the Palermo location of California Burrito Company (Godoy Cruz y Honduras) can take care of your burrito fix.

And if your burrito fix turns to a shwarma fix, "Siniór Shwarma" , on Honduras across from KIKA/Belushi Bar has pollo (chicken), lomo (beef), or cerdo (pig) shwarmas and they taste pretty damned good at 2:45am.

THanks! I've heard of CBC and iwll def try one day.. but want some cozy ambience. A friend recommended La Flor Azteca so I may try that. Will letcha know how it turns out.

rrptownley said:
Fabrica de taco- palermo, Gorriti y Serrano.

Last time I went to this place they didn't have any burritos. Also their hottest sauce "Pa' los que se atrevan!" wasn't spicy in the slightest. It is good for tacos and a bucket of Coronas however. I believe they have margaritas.

The best Mexican food in a stylish restaurant ambiance (complete with mariachi band) is María Felix on Godoy Cruz near Charcas in Palermo. The Taco Factory is tasty, but much more casual and, imho, a the food is a bit plain for what you're paying for. They do have a good hot sauce selection though. I also think that they pretty much just serve tacos. I love the CBC burritos (used to work near there and lived on them at lunch time) but their margaritas are a sugary mess, and unless you're eating there on the terrace during the daytime the ambiance leaves a lot to be desired (it's more like a standard fast food atmosphere from the States). María Felix serves a damn tasty margarita, and you can upgrade from Cuervo to actual good tequila, too.

ETA: CBC is like fast-food burritos, make no mistake. That said, they're still pretty good!

MizzMarr said:
The best Mexican food in a stylish restaurant ambiance (complete with mariachi band) is María Felix on Godoy Cruz near Charcas in Palermo. The Taco Factory is tasty, but much more casual and, imho, a bit plainer for what you're paying for. I also think that they pretty much serve tacos. I love the CBC burritos (used to work near there and lived on them at lunch time) but their margaritas are a sugary mess, and unless you're eating there on the terrace during the daytime the ambiance leaves a lot to be desired (it's more like a standard fast food atmosphere from the States). María Felix serves a damn tasty margarita, and you can upgrade from Cuervo to actual good tequila, too.

I've heard good things about this place just recently, but I've never been. Thanks for the review.

CBC just leaves me longing for real burritos. It's like a cheesy taco del mar want to be. I thought maria felix was not all that either.

DF in puerto madero is overpriced slightly I think but serves excellent mex food. Also heard good things about fabrica del taco

Good mexican food is one of the things I miss most about the US

Sure thing, Napoleon, I hope you enjoy. I really do like the ambiance in Maria Felix, and stand by that the food is pretty good. As to PhilipDT's comment, well... I have never been to or heard of DF (is that the whole name?), but I think it seems fair to assume that for anybody who has been living in Buenos Aires for awhile to take their expectations down for "excellent" food, especially anything that's not in the natural palate of the Argentines. That said, I have enjoyed it, and when some friends came to visit (one of whom is a native Mexican) they went back to eat at MF several times and enjoyed it.

Now, personally I can't stomach paying the high prices at restaurants, so I make my own mexican at home. Can't go wrong! Except that I can't seem to find decent (large) burrito shells around anymore and have to start rolling my own. But if you're not going to do it yourself, you can at least satisfy the craving.

I will add that I haven't been to María Felix in well over a year (see previous comment about high prices and being able to make my own at home), so can't speak to whether the food has remained consitent, gotten better, or declined in quality.

Back