July 10Th Pope Visits Paraguay

johnw100

Registered
Just a heads up to mention they are expecting upto a million Argentines to be visiting Paraguay to see the pope this weekend. Expect travel chaos on biblical proportions
towards the end of the week.

Did anyone care to tell them that Paraguay no longer accepts Argentine pesos?

haha, you think that would stop people trading in Arg pesos? Just go to any Paraguayan border and you are inundated with people offering money exchange.

I'll post full details later, but Paraguayan ATMs emit nice, crisp, new 20 USD bills.

Did anyone care to tell them that Paraguay no longer accepts Argentine pesos?

Actually, I should clarify. One can exchange papel higenico in banks, etc. I didn't try to pay for anything directly. I didn't want to offend.

It's possible that Camberiu may have been referring to the electric bill that Argentina was trying to pay to Paraguay a couple of (or a few?) years ago, where they had been paying Paraguay in dollars but when things started getting problematic with dollars here they wanted to pay their arrears in Pesos - at the official rate (the spread wasn't nearly as bad between official and blue as it is now). I don't know where that ended up...but at the time Paraguay was saying "no way, Cristina".

Or, he could be referring to the exchange rate that, when I first came to Argentina in 2006, varied between 3200 and 2800 to 1 peso, which now is being traded officially at 565 to 1 peso, but in December, at least, my girls got around 300 guaranies to the peso in the bus station in Asuncion when they went to visit their folks over the holidays. Paraguayans consider their base amount of their currency to be 1000 guaranies, not 1 guarani - I think their lowest coin is 100 guaranies if I remember correctly. Their lowest bill is 2000 guaranies. They consider that now the peso is worth less than their money.

When I came here, Paraguayans looked at Argentina like a rich neighbor and felt "verguenza" in front of Argentinos. Now, they are watching their money pass the value of an individual peso. I know for sure the Paraguayans who work here and go visit with money don't do it nearly as much, or for nearly as long, as they used to since their pesos are worth so much less there.

The US Dollar is trading in Paraguay right now for about 5200 guaranies to the dollar (about the highest I've ever seen it). If you divide the official US Dollar exchange rate by the official Argentine Peso rate in Paraguay, you get around 9.2 pesos to the dollar (very near the "offical" ARG Peso to US Dollar rate), but if you divide what the girls were getting in reality in December, it was more like 17.3 - 1...which seems to me realistic compared to the 13-1 the Argentine government manages to force the blue rate to here.

As far as the pope going to visit Paraguay - I hope he's not going there and ignoring his "home" country just because Cristina has been trying to use her "contact" (or, perhaps better stated, perceived influence toward another Argentine national who, in her eyes, should take into account the fact that he was Argentine before he was the Pontifex Maximus) to get good press and maybe some influence from the pope...

Or, maybe he had to go there first to take out dollars from the ATMs because he didn't want to mess with getting them here :D

Oh, those damned vultures and that pesky CIA...

Are you guys saying that the guarani worth more than the argentine peso? cause that would be weird considering the enormous quantity of paraguayans that come here to live and send part of the money they earn here, in pesos, to Paraguay.

Are you guys saying that the guarani worth more than the argentine peso? cause that would be weird considering the enormous quantity of paraguayans that come here to live and send part of the money they earn here, in pesos, to Paraguay.

Fewer and fewer come here. Many more are returning as Argentina no longer provides an economic advantage.

Quit waving your flag and try to come to terms with reality.

Back