Just a reassurance for Visa Runners to Colonia

Anyway, this subject is so important to some of the forumers here that it's worth keeping its quality high.
Citygirl is a long time member and she expressed an opinion which is rational, and may be shared by some other -silent- members.
Bajo Cero gives many explications, much more than usual lawyers do, so let's credit him for this.

The new Decreto is here, that's a fact. There have been changes to the Rentista Visa requirements, that's a fact.
We all come from different backgrounds, opinions, religions, countries, whatever, another fact.

Since the new Decreto entered into effect recentely, we should notice more horror stories in the coming weeks then, no ?

Last, we all are adults. Facts are interesting, the thread as well

Cheers

hope this clarifies:

When bajo_cero replied to my first post ever, he mentioned he knew of 2 ultima prorrogas:
1. Katerina
2. michael at the milonga had told him about a friend who got an ultima prorroga.

I, touristvisanotextended, am actually the same michael from the milonga that bajo cero mentioned. I met bajo cero 2 weeks ago in real life. In real life my first name is michael and bajo_cero's first name is christian. bajo_cero did not know my baexpat username, but now we have met again as usernames.

Hence, bajocero's second case is a duplicate. my first posted explained in detail about my friend from LA (her first name starts with a "G") who after 3 months went to colonia, and after 6mo went to DGM where she got a 90 day prorroga on Sept.10th.

The third case i read in a different forum, not baexpats, it was a guy who went to tigre on sept 1 to renew his visa, hes been a perma-tourist for 5 yrs and is even married to an argentine woman. he was told at tigre he has 90 days to legalize or leave, they also took his home address. He mentioned that he thought the staff of 4 people working at tigre immigrations had been changed, as they were new faces to him.

"ultima prorroga summary":
case 1: bajo_cero's Katerina, (Greek, date unknown, been in bsas 6mo, received at DGM)
case 2: touristvisanotextended's friend "G", (USA, received sept 10 at DGM)
case 3: married tigre guy from other forum ( sept 1 at tigre, been here 5 yrs)

"perma-tourist renewals are fine like (almost) always summary":
case1: sept.8th, "walkingtwig" only over-heard someone at DGM tell a danish couple who has been here over 6 mo: "I cant extend you again here at DGM, but its no problem, just go to colonia and come back."
case2: ?

thanks,
michael

A PERSONAL STORY:

Let's just say that this story is mine. And if the authorities look for a Napoleon Bonaparte in their records, there's a possibility that it WON'T lead to me.

(1) I've been here for a few years.

(2) I've never stayed over the 90 days. Colonia, USA, Brazil, Uruguay (proper), Immigration office, and even one trip to Paysandu have kept me legal.

(3) I flew to the States with about a week to go in August. I was under the 90 day limit, but I'm not going to say which day I left or on which airline.

(4) I've had extra pages put into my passport because I was running out of space.

LEAVING BAIRES:

The girl checking me before I went to the airline counter was about 25 years old. Usually I joke around with these people and they tend to find me fairly amusing. This girl didn't like me from the get-go.

She flipped through my passport and saw a million stamps. She was not happy. She couldn't find my most recent entrance stamp even though I told her the exact page it was on. (One of the letter pages from the added pages.) I offered to help her find it. She told me that she didn't need help. I countered that perhaps she did, because she had missed the stamp the first time.

She asked me which airline I came in on last. I told her that I last came into Argentina via a car. (The truth) She was upset I didn't have some kind of piece of paper that you are supposed to retain from your flight. (I didn't know what she was talking about.)

She mentioned that my plane ticket said that I was going to return. I acknowledged as much. She asked me why I was returning, I told her that I was taking an photography course. She didn't like that I had a legitimate excuse, but she accepted it. She let me pass.

The airline, the passport/ticket checker upstairs, security (which was a joke), and immigration after that all had absolutely NO PROBLEM with me leaving the country.

A lazy bastard in Duty Free caused me to not be able to buy some wine & liquor because the cutoff for my flight had passed. They're slow, so get there plenty early if you are considering buy a liquid at Duty Free.

RETURNING TO BAIRES:

I returned to Buenos Aires at the start of this week. I was bringing in some appliances (router, blender, Crock Pot, Brita Water Filter...) and over US$5,000 worth of recently purchased photo equipment from the USA.

I put UV filters on the all of the new lenses, I used both cameras, the memory cards not only had photos on them, but the first photos were NOT "001", "002", "003"... This equipment was in a camera backpack that also had a space for my 3.5 year old laptop. I had kept the backpack in the trunk of the car I was driving around in in the States so that it would get some wear. It worked. It looked relatively new, but NOT new.

My plane arrived and I went through the USA/Canada/????? line where they try to charge you the (now) US$140.00. (I paid US$131.00 6 months ago.) But when the guy easily found my stamp, he quickly motioned me on through. Then the person at Immigration quickly stamped an empty page from the inserted pages and didn't even ask me one question.

Then I went to collect my bags. There wasn't a single cart because there were a ton of people who had just landed. I think that this played into my favor, because when I finally got into one of the 3 or 4 ADUANA lines to run my stuff through an X-Ray machine, I was about the 50th or 60th person in my line.

About two people in front of me there was a guy with a box containing about a 42" Flat Screen TV (or bigger) and he had a little trouble placing the thing on the conveyor belt, but they didn't hassle him.

When it was my turn, I place my two checked bags (with 4 pounds of coffee, a blender, a crock pot...) on the conveyor belt and then my two carry on bags (router, books, & Brita in one and CAMERA EQUIPMENT AND my laptop in the other).

I gave the guy my declaration sheet that had the US$176 worth of items that I was declaring and he looked to see that something had been written on it, and put it on a pile and looked to the next person.

I walked out of there like a free man walking out of prison. I was pretty sure that I had made it, but you never know until you go through the sliding doors. But I walked through those and that was it.

At least one other big plane had just arrived from overseas and I think that they were overwhelmed at the time. They didin't want anything more than to get people through the lines. And that's why I don't think I had any problems.

BUT, I started the the FBI & Birth Certificate processes while I was in the States so that (1) I would get that stuff going and (2) Know what to say if I was questioned upon my return. I didn't know if it would help, but I'm at least going to look for a way to get a visa besides a 90 day one.

It might be too late to satisfy the insecurity of my (now) ex-girlfriend (porteña), but if it comes up again in the future with a girl or "The MAN", I want to be prepared.

KatharineAnn said:
And a lot of employers are fine and happy employing you en negro, and that way you´ll never get to legitimize your situation, and it´s not entirely your fault - it´s in part the way Argentina works. We don´t decide to work en negro any more than Argentines do :)

"Not registered working" (en negro) is one of our most extensive problems, 'cause those workers aren't protected with a free medical insurance, for example

It's hardly to belive that you cannot get a resident visa easy. but, in the worst case scenario ...you should make an argentinean friend who employs you until you finish your apply. And..maybe is enoght with employers letter asking for a visa for you prior to contract.

good luck..or ask!

Damiancho said:
"Not registered working" (en negro) is one of our most extensive problems, 'cause those workers aren't protected with a free medical insurance, for example

It's hardly to belive that you cannot get a resident visa easy. but, in the worst case scenario ...you should make an argentinean friend who employs you until you finish your apply. And..maybe is enoght with employers letter asking for a visa for you prior to contract.

good luck..or ask!

Well you are wrong, in fact is difficult to get the residence. Among other requisites, you have to show that you get 2000 US dolards from abroad per month.
And the letter you mention is the best way to be deported, a company to hire you has to full fit some requisites and to be registered and approved by DGM. I know a case where the most important milonga contracted a guy, they presented the papers 11 month ago and there is no answer. The answer will be rejected as soon as the 12th month arrives.

Regards

Napoleon said:
LEAVING BAIRES:

The girl checking me before I went to the airline counter was about 25 years old. Usually I joke around with these people and they tend to find me fairly amusing. This girl didn't like me from the get-go.

She flipped through my passport and saw a million stamps. She was not happy. She couldn't find my most recent entrance stamp even though I told her the exact page it was on. (One of the letter pages from the added pages.) I offered to help her find it. She told me that she didn't need help. I countered that perhaps she did, because she had missed the stamp the first time.

She asked me which airline I came in on last. I told her that I last came into Argentina via a car. (The truth) She was upset I didn't have some kind of piece of paper that you are supposed to retain from your flight. (I didn't know what she was talking about.)

She mentioned that my plane ticket said that I was going to return. I acknowledged as much. She asked me why I was returning, I told her that I was taking an photography course. She didn't like that I had a legitimate excuse, but she accepted it. She let me pass.
Who are these officials at check in? I have been given the third degree more than once by these people before checking in at the airline ticket counter. Have a Passport full of entry and exit stamps and everything is legit. No 90 day overstays or any extensions. Always believed their function was for security, not immigration. Sometimes I wonder if they are going to even permit me to exit.

dennisr said:
Who are these officials at check in? I have been given the third degree more than once by these people before checking in at the airline ticket counter. Have a Passport full of entry and exit stamps and everything is legit. No 90 day overstays or any extensions. Always believed their function was for security, not immigration. Sometimes I wonder if they are going to even permit me to exit.

If you've overstayed and you haven't paid the fine, they won't permit you to exit. That's why they tend to get fickle looking for your entry stamps, they want to make sure that the airlines didn't miss finding that you are an overstay and therefore owe the government a bit of cash.

Whenever I overstayed I always was upfront about it to the airline people because I knew otherwise it would be a big hassle, but one time when I went through customs there was some foreigner a few ahead of me in the line that obviously hadn't been forthcoming about overstay, or didn't know the process, or just thought she had got lucky because the airline missed her stamp -- of course she found herself knocked out of line and told that she had to go back to pay the multa... she was having a total meltdown because it would probably mean that she'd miss her flight. I've only seen this happen once, and it was around Christmas when the airports are jam packed and everyone in a frantic/bad mood. So maybe on another occasion you'd be able to sweet talk your way through even if you hadn't paid the multa, but for the poor girl I saw it didn't work that time.

My comment isnt 100% related to the clamping down on people here on tourist visas but, i have been visiting migraciones for 6 months now, yes 6 months with my employer for a work visa, each time there is something else. I went last week twice and they held everything up over, Im not sure and Im not even sure that they know either, but my boss said to them, well, can we just complete it today as her tourist visa expires in a couple of days. The response from migraciones was...dont worry...she doesnt have to be legal, its fine, dont worry. For my boss to then say, well she doesnt want to be over her visa and have problems not just here but anywhere etc....with the reply....no...she wont have any problems she's fine here, at the border anywhere. After living her for 4 years, im not naive, i know not to just rely on one persons word so a day later we went back and asked more staff at migraciones all with the same reply. So whilst maybe there is a clamp down, that message doesnt seemed to have actually arrived to migraciones en Retiro. Im sure by the time i have to go back with my new turno, it suddenly will become a problem.

dennisr said:

Well, this debate is all about a new law which enforces 180 maximum staying per year and establishes a deportation procedure that didn´t exist before.
Regards

dirtyauzzie said:
After living her for 4 years, im not naive, i know not to just rely on one persons word so a day later we went back and asked more staff at migraciones all with the same reply

Go for citizenship!

Back