Just a reassurance for Visa Runners to Colonia

I know several people who have renewed their tourist visa in the last few weeks without any problems. Including someone who has been here for a few years with her boyfriend.

Personally, if I were coming here to spend a year on sabbatical or hanging out or whatever, I wouldn't worry about it. Other people may feel differently.

steveinbsas said:
Thanks for the clarification! This is anything but reassuring. I hope others who made the "Colonia run" since Sept 1 will let us know if they received the ultima prorroga or were admitted with a new 90 day visa.
Do you know if anyone has been arrested, deported, and/or banned as a result of the new decreto or is it too soon for that to have happened?

Well, we have to wait and see.

However, I saw at DGM website the announcement about the decreto 616 and there said the all the human right NGO were involved in it. In fact, this means that CELS´s lawyers wrote it. I am a former CELS´s lawyer, so I called there and a will have a meeting with them tomorrow in order to know which is the policy about this changes. They have direct communication with CFK, so they know how she thinks.
For the few words I exchanged, they are very proud about that the deportation now is legal (they have to take you under a judge) but I think that they don´t have any idea about expat existence because they are focus on protecting border countries immigrants.
Regards

At the Boletin Oficial (Were they publish laws) decreto 616 says that it will enforceable 60 days after its publishing, this means more or less yesterday. Regards

I went to extend my 90 visa today, at the desk beside me there was a lovely young danish couple with a baby. They were atempting to extend an already extended tourist visa. The polite offical told them slowly in spanish, "I'm sorry but I can't extend this. But if you go out of here and walk to the big boat, and to to Uruguay, come back and they will stamp it for you".

That is reassurance if ever you need it!

Hello,
part 1
On sept.10, at the immigrations office in BsAs, my friend from Los Angeles, "G", who has only been here for 6 months on a tourist visa with just 1 trip to colonia 3 months ago, just got that new big stamp that i saw a photo of in another thread that says: "ultima prorroga - 90 days" when she attempted to extend her tourist visa. Immigrations said this stamp means that she will not be able to renew her tourist visa neither there nor by going to colonia, they said they want her to get legalized or she has to leave. (they even humorously told her: "she could marry an argentine or leave, but they dont recommend that she marries an argentine.").
note: (total in her passport, she had 3 other arg. tourist entrance stamps, from a one month trip 1.5 yrs ago, and from a 6 mo trip 3 years ago. )

part 2: my request for new information from the forum
let us know if if you know any tourist who has:
1. been in argentina on tourist stamps for over 6 months (the new decreto says you can get 1 extension, so please dont about post this)
2. renewed or extended their visa after sept.10th or so (i dont care if it was before this date, The new immigration law just went into effect last week, so please dont post any information older than that, we all know in the past it was mostly fine).
3. please, also mention what country they were from.

my personal introduction: I am from the USA, and have been living in buenos aires for the last 4 years with perma-tourist visa renewals. I appreciate all the advice posted here - thank you. I have never posted before. I am worried because i have read about the new immigrations decreto as mentioned in the thread "changes for permatourists", and i have been wondering if it will be enforced or not.

-------------------------

part 3 "ultima prorroga" stamp implications/questions).
"ultima prorroga":
1) what if this ultima prorroga, threat is not enforced at the borders, and deportation orders are never issued?
side story: (one year ago, a japanese friend of mine from the USA was told at bsas immigrations when she went to extend her tourist visa, that it was her last tourist visa, get legal or leave, we wont renew your tourist visa stamp again..... (her warning/threat was verbal and her stamp was just a normal tourist stamp, she never got this (perhaps new) "ultima prorogga stamp")...... anyways, she ignored the warning, left and came back and got a new tourist visa, no problem)

2) what happens in 90 days if she stays in the country, anyone have a story like: immigrations ran a batch database report on all of us ultima prorroga over stayers, and had a judge declare us all illegal or issue a deportation orders (i doubt this will happen, but i would like to keep track of what happens to the people who have previously gotten "ultima prorrogas"?

3) what if she leaves the country for 7 months, will they be nice and give her a new tourist visa when she returns, or will they say no, in the past you were suspicious, so no more tourist visas for ever/5yrs?

4) she is from the of the USA, and another thread mentioned it will likely take her over 90 days just to get a FBI police report that she would need to get another "immigrations sanctioned" temporary 1 year visa (i.e. rentista/student/work/etc....), if she stays here then when she tries to apply, from here, for an "immigrations sanctioned" temporary 1 year visa they will see that she has stayed over her "ultima prorroga", does this mean they will likely deny her?

(she will try to ask immigrations these "ultima prorroga" questions, and report back, but in argentina it seems a good idea to balance what i read in the law, with what 1 random immigrations employee says on 1 random day, with a collective consensus of what is actually happening on the street)

ayyyy!!! on a positive note, at least they gave her 90 days to try to legalize, instead of just deporting her on the spot.

Ok, I am receiving some feedback. I had 2 cases where they got an "ultima prorroga 90 days" stamp.

So seems they are enforcing it in a nice way.

According to decreto 616-2010 they might deny the entry or to give 30 days in order to regularize you immigration status.

However, at D day plus 1, the deportation procedure should start.

One of them, a greek girl, she went to the DGM building. She went to Colonia once, so she has been here for 180 and she received another 90 days.

The other case, I don´t know the details, it was mentioned to me from an American Guy, he told me he is going to start a tread about it.
Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
I had 2 cases where they got an "ultima prorroga 90 days" stamp.

One of them, a greek girl, she went to the DGM building. She went to Colonia once, so she has been here for 180 and she received another 90 days.

When did she go to migraciones? Was she here for 90 days, then made the trip to Colonia, and then went to migraciones? At that point did she receive an ultima prorroga of 90 days?

If that' the case, isn't it better to go to migraciones prior to the end of the first 90 days and get the additional 90 days? After that go to Colonia...or won't it matter now?

In other words, is a maximum stay of 180 days now being enforced?

Again, I will be cynical. I know several people who have had it extended no problem. And it may be to the benefit of some to stir up fear that there is an impending crack down.

citygirl said:
And it may be to the benefit of some to stir up fear that there is an impending crack down.

You don't mean lawyers, do you?:rolleyes:

Back