Just be careful

DDP111

Registered
Hey everybody, I just wanted to say that from my experience BA is a great city with a lot of friendly people, I thoroughly enjoy it. However do take precaution. I was robbed just two days ago. I was sitting at a table outside of a restaurant in San Telmo with a number of other tables surrounding mine. I was sitting across the table, face to face from my friend. I had set my bag down next to my feet and under the table while a friend and I ate. Not once while we were eating did I leave the table and we were only there for about 45 minutes. There was even an on duty police women standing on the corner no more then 40 feet from where we were sitting for the majority of the time that we were there. Just before we were getting ready to leave, I went to put something in my bag and it was no where to be found. Luckily the only valuable thing that I had in the bag was a digital camera. No one was hurt and everything is replaceable so I'm thankful for that, but do be careful. The only time that both my friend and I had diverted our attention else where was when someone asked us for directions. We both looked in the opposite direction of my bag, which again was at my feet under the table, for no more then 10/15 seconds. It doesn't take long. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Hi DDP111,

Sorry for your bad experience, but this is a carbon copy of Barbara Bush bag snatching.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Link: Bush Daughter's Purse Stolen in Buenos Aires

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — The Argentine government confirmed on Wednesday that a daughter of President Bush had her purse stolen during a visit to the Argentine capital, despite the presence of Secret Service agents and local police.

"La Nacion newspaper, citing anonymous government sources, said in its online edition early Wednesday that the incident occurred Sunday afternoon in the popular tourist district of San Telmo.

It said a pair of thieves removed the purse from under a table while Secret Service agents stood guard at a distance."

How you can see they are very professional....unfortunally

So yes, the advice is to keep your bag tied to you all the times, remember tourist speaking english loudly are prime target for these crooks.

So sorry about what happened. that's terrible. Luckily you didn't have too many important things in it.

Just a tip: If you put your bag on the floor, you should put your let through the strap. Otherwise your bag should be on your lap (with your arm through the strap).

mini said:
So sorry about what happened. that's terrible. Luckily you didn't have too many important things in it.

Just a tip: If you put your bag on the floor, you should put your let through the strap. Otherwise your bag should be on your lap (with your arm through the strap).

That's quite right now you not only are going to lose your bag but your arm or leg as well....:D

Seriously make sure the bag is strap to something, chair, table, etc.

This sounds almost EXACTLY like what happened to me and a friend in Barcelona, Spain in the mid 80's....... These thieves are VERY good. I am now much more aware and careful (straps around the legs, watch for strangers trying to distract, etc) - ain't gonna happen again (and hasn't so far).......

Funny that the pc modern day attitude is in praise of the thieves' dexterity!

Sorry you had to experience this. The best place to keep your bag is on your lap and let it sit between your legs...

The favourite one for us is to have the back pocket of my wifes backpack opened. I did think of putting some dodgy fake dollars in there for them to steal. :p
Just as in any big city you need to be careful.

mini said:

Basically, ur thing should have enclosed electric teaser with automatically triggered discharger. Then, after u piecefully sit down for a sip of beverage of ur choice you should immediately put 8 meters of carbonized steel cord through the handles of ur bag and attach it to a nearest police car/motorcycle (keep the key!!!).
Try to not draw too much of public attention while doing it.
Another thing is old time favorite: mini IED contained in ur fake wallet(u should keep ur real on in ur underwear), so criminals will receive a friendly blast (could discharge with folic acid as well) in their faces.

Also good precaution measurement will be to have a Black Mamba in ur purse/bag. 2 hungry pittbulls chained to your belongings or a couple of albanians with AK-74 standing by...
All of this may deliver to you these unforgettable moments of serenity and relaxation on BA streets surrounded by courteous and friendly people...:D

I have to say that you must take more precautions with your personal effects than you would in other cities. The thiefs who work Buenos Aires streets are amongst the worlds best . Do not ever wear a rolex, flash any jewellery or walk downtown with an expensive camera.

I personally have never once had a problem in 4 years here due to luck maybe and also being very aware of my surroundings and the people near me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gsi16386 Expat Life 25
Alicia karr Expat Life 23
P Expat Life 0
L Expat Life 12
H Expat Life 14
Back