Just found an injured bird and need animal welfare group

Right, this is also a sparrow. It's a female House Sparrow Passer domesticus alias el gorrión.

OK, so here's the post-vet visit update:

The bird — a sparrow, as previously stated — has a "luxación tibio," which I understand to be the bird version of a hyperextended knee. The little guy (or girl) is now on antibiotics, which have to be given 2x/day for 4 days. That should be an interesting experience.

For future reference, the vet (Augustin) was great, and he works for Fauna Vets, which specializes in "animales no tradicionales": http://www.vetedeexoticos.com.ar

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it; and I assume the sparrow does as well.

ElLatingo,

good for you for doing this. (i have also rescued birds...) the world is so full of big problems that often just render us helpless or paralyzed. sometimes we need a smaller crisis we can put our arms around and show our humanity. it makes the world (and us) a better place.

thanks for sharing the info.

mariposa said:
ElLatingo,

good for you for doing this. (i have also rescued birds...) the world is so full of big problems that often just render us helpless or paralyzed. sometimes we need a smaller crisis we can put our arms around and show our humanity. it makes the world (and us) a better place.

thanks for sharing the info.

Thanks for the kind words. I just couldn't leave the poor thing out there. And I totally agree that the small things we do can add up to a whole lotta goodness.

Some very sad news to report: the sparrow, whom I'd named Jack, died last night. I don't know what happened, whether it was stress, lack of eating, an internal injury, a combination of those things, or something different altogether. I spoke to the vet who'd come by on Monday and he said that small birds like Jack tend to die easily when they're suffering from trauma.

Suffice it to say that it breaks my heart, but I'm also so appreciative of everything you all suggested. It's good to know there are many animal lovers on this list.

Thanks again.

Back