Keep Dollars Or Convert To Pesos?

ajl1239

Registered
If my aim is to spend a couple weeks in Buenos Aires and also visit Calafate and Chalten for a glacier trek and a couple of day hikes, would you recommend keeping my dollars in dollars or converting them to pesos at a hotel/arbolito?

I ask, because I'm guessing that if I have dollars, it's easier to negotiate a lower rate than if I have pesos, for which a travel agent/tour operator might just then charge me the blue rate of pesos to be paid with pesos?

Thoughts?

Pesos are king. Dollars are great for getting the blue rate which if you pay in USD for anything here, you'll be paying at the official exchange rate, unless someone else has seen otherwise. If you haven't researched Dolar Blue, you may want to begin that process. Official rate this weekend is 8.83 pesos to a dollar versus 12.65 pesos at the blue.

Edit: I just reread your message; I'm not sure about tour operators or travel agents. I think there are a few people in the travel business on the forum that may be able to respond with a better answer. My response was using pesos versus dollars in general. A cueva on Florida will likely give you a better rate than a hotel. The last travel agent I used was in May 2014. I was able to buy two airline tickets in pesos, one for me (resident) and one for my son (non-resident). The last friends that went there this year were asked to present their DNI or other proof of legal residency in order to pay in pesos. That was just one single travel agent; I'm unsure if this has progressed to other travel agents.

And the blue rate is for currency conversion, not a general rate of direct charging. You exchange your dollars at the rate based on your method. Arbolito/cueva/hotels/etc will exchange at a rate closer to the blue, meaning you get more pesos for each dollar. Credit card, National Bank, and ATM convert at the official rate. The less pesos you receive per dollar, the more dollars you are essentially paying for whatever you buy with pesos (included this because it seemed to be a point of confusion). Some restaurants will accept dollars but I believe they legally have to "charge" at the official rate, but that rate may vary per restaurant (although I've not opted for paying this way).

Also note that it's pretty easy to change US$ to pesos in Buenos Aires, but it gets more difficult outside of the capital and you probably get a slightly worse rate. If you arrive in B.A. and travel the country, I'd exchange the expected money you spend to pesos before starting your trip to Patagonia.

Where would you suggest going to change, say, $1,000 USD? I did it on Florida Street last time and felt a little scared; honestly, I'm also worried about being that one guy that might get arrested to "set an example." Can you suggest a hotel? Or maybe just use Xoom?

I wouldn't use Xoom if you have the possibility to take USD cash here - you'll get a slightly worse exchange rate there. Florida might look sketchy, but it's actually pretty safe. An alternative is to go to a cuave and change there. I always go to one in Recoleta, if you need the location, send me a PM (they are not "official", so it's not too good to post the address in a public forum).

Never have had a problem on Florida, not even with false bills. It's technically illegally but obviously officially tolerated. Anything to get the hard currency in and lock it in...

Never have had a problem on Florida, not even with false bills. It's technically illegally but obviously officially tolerated. Anything to get the hard currency in and lock it in...
HA ha ha...the National Government will shoot itself in the foot on many fronts but not when it comes to selling off their own illgotten dollars :)

Back