Keep It Moving

cruizes

Registered
Are we talking about New York or Buenos Aires? The people here also need to learn sidewalk etiquette

Permiso Permiso all day long

http://t.nbcnews.com/travel/keep-it-moving-new-yorkers-sour-holiday-tourists-2D11733673

It drives me crazy how people block the sidewalks while walking totally insensitive and unaware that the sidewalk is meant for everyone and not just them. You say con permiso over and over and they pretend to be dead and get offended when you have to shout to be heard. It's particularly annoying on stairways and escalators in the subways. Makes me miss how organized Japan is when it comes to sidewalk etiquette.

I was saying to a guy I work with that if Argies go to NYC they're gonna get their asses pushed in to the road. I'm so sick of people standing on the stairs, in the middle of sidewalks while window shopping, talking on their phones while jwalking and then swearing at cars, etc.

Perhaps I'm just a bitter expat now but I must say that people do not know how to walk in this city

There is a simple solution, my girlfriend thought of it. A 'pedestrian horn'. Works just like on the road with cars. It will be on sale in the following weeks once the patent is approved.

One thing is when people walk in a zig-zag (why?) or walk with their faces locked to their cell phones. I usually wait until that moment just before impact and yell, "Look out!"

It is quite another when they stand in groups talking and blocking the sidewalk. I'm much less nice when addressing these people. Most often I just walk right through the middle of group. :)

Reminds me last time I was in NYC.

I was standing at some crossroads, on the sidewalk (of course), looking at the buildings around, nose in the air.
There was plenty of space (like 5 feet) to walk by my right or by my left.

Then I heard "Excuse me!!!!" (in a very violent way, like if I had done something wrong). It was a female newyorker who had decided I was on her path (??).

Quite nut indeed.

Reminds me last time I was in NYC.

I was standing at some crossroads, on the sidewalk (of course), looking at the building around, nose in the air.
There was plenty of space (like 5 feet) to walk by my right or by my left.

Then I heard "Excuse me!!!!" (in a very violent way, like if I had done something wrong). It was a female newyorker who had decided I was on her path (??).

Quite nut indeed.

Yeah, the northeast is not famous for having very friendly people. Ajo, you sure you're from Fargo? Maybe you're from NYC and you don't know it.

I forgot that I brought one of those sound horn with me. Wouldn't they shit if I blew it at them.

New Yorkers are impatient and rude and Argentinians are inconsiderate... makes for an interesting combination. :)

On the other hand, my Argentine husband got pretty irate with the pedestrians in Miami while driving. Seeing people text while walking diagonally across the street was too much for him. He was to the point he was almost nudging people with the car in the parking lot. In BA, those pedestrians wouldn't last long.

Back