Keep It Moving

It truly amazes me how people here have a total lack of respect for public space. They think hallways in buildings, sidewalks, staircases and any other open space is theirs to store things, sell stuff, leave junk and not yield to others when moving about. I can't believe sometimes how people walk 2 or more people wide on sidewalks and if you are walking towards them in the opposite direction, instead of them moving to the side to let you pass they kind of just look at you and expect the person walking towards them to step in the street or something. I just deliberately bang into them as hard as I can (unless they are old or with a child, then I give in) and wait for the remarks, usually "boludo, or some other dumb word" and I say back "I didn't know that you owned the sidewalk" and usually don't get any reaction after that. Sometimes I just put my hands on them and physically move them out of the way and am met with shock or silence when I have resorted to doing a physical move.

I do the same thing because if I don't bang into them I'll have to step and fall into those enormous potholes with trees growing out of them. It they call me boluda I just tell them to andate a la concha de su madre. When I lives in NYC I was told the second day to move my dumb ass out of the way for pausing on the Grand Central Station staircase. I just laughed and stepped aside to let them pass. I learned from that experience.p

Sounds like all you guys are permanently in a hurry? I have no problem with people stopping to chat on a sidewalk. Actually it's one of the things I like here. I have only been living in my new neighbourhood for a few months but I already know lots of the neighbours, the porteros of other buildings and the small shop owners and I would be quite upset if I didn't have anyone stop and talk to me as I do my morning or evening shop. The small village atmosphere in the midst of a big city is quite charming. It may take a bit longer to get things done but it is a much more pleasant experience. I would be very annoyed of some gringo deliberately crashed into me because he confused a sidewalk with a motorway. If you are in a rush get a taxi. Sidewalks are for wandering and chatting. Maybe not in NYC, but you are not in NYC! Please adapt or go back, rather than trying to impose your habits on my new community.

Sidewalks are for wandering and chatting. Maybe not in NYC, but you are not in NYC! Please adapt or go back, rather than trying to impose your habits on my new community.

DAFUQ?

SideWALKS are for wandering and chatting? Sidewalks are for pedestrians to be able to get to places they want to get to by walking without running the risk of getting run over by cars. They have a very specific purpose, which is the same as roads for cars...a paved area for pedestrians to get from point A to point B.

As for going back or adapting...this is a discussion forum where people are allowed to express their opinion, please adapt or leave the forum if you don't like it instead of imposing your will, according to your sensibilities, on others.

There is a simple solution, my girlfriend thought of it. A 'pedestrian horn'. Works just like on the road with cars. It will be on sale in the following weeks once the patent is approved.

My wife (who is porten~a and hates the way people block the sidewalks here) and myself would buy those horns in a heartbeat. I hope they don't just honk but say "Movete BOLUDO!" really loud!

My wife (who is porten~a and hates the way people block the sidewalks here) and myself would buy those horns in a heartbeat. I hope they don't just honk but say "Movete BOLUDO!" really loud!

It would not be unlike letting a air horn rip from a few cm of some unsuspecting victim's head as they stop infront of you or cut you off. Actually... This would make a great YouTube video...

It is a lack of education and no consideration for others. A small bicycle type bell works. Or , sometimes I will clap my hands and say Quidado really loud. However it is amazing that when queing up for the colectivo , they rarely block the sidewalk........

As for you black hands , whatever dude. Take a chill pill. If you block my sidewalk I'll bowl you right over.

I bet there was a point when you all thought it quaint,when you first arrived.
It is what it is chaps and I for one would not change it as it is a basic building block of this society .Talking is more important than walking,punto. It makes the city warm and less city like. It is nice seeing people enjoying contact with each other talking even if they do not know each other Try to belong and this city will still have a gift for you in its hands. .
For all those asking while reading if I get upset when I am in a hurry the answer is yes of course, I still have my London step but the London step is for London. I remind myself of that and I usually end laughing at my self importance. It is not this society that needs fixing it is me who is out of step .

BA over the last decade is industrialising at the fastest rate in its history. While there is still obviously way too much poverty, it is overall moving in the right direction with investments in infrastructure and civic improvements. And while I find the current administration reprehensible, it still nonetheless has an excellent democratic structure with officials elected by the population.

Detroit over the last decade is de-industrialising, with basic city services being cut extensively especially in lower income neighbourhoods. While there still is alot of wealth in the city, it is increasingly more unequally distributed. Perhaps worse of all, the city has completely given up any semblance of democracy, and is now run by an unelected City Manager with dictatorial powers.

Overall, the average Detroiter is richer than the average Porteño, but on average life is improving in BA and declining in Detroit.

The other thing that proves a lack of education is situation in supermarkets, when they leave their things(shopping basket) just in a middle of the walking space, i just can't understand this...they don't care about the rest

Back