Keep It Moving

Watching them try to handle the shopping cars in the markets is actually funny. They always act like this is the first time they have had to steer a shopping cart. Viva Argentina!

Sounds like all you guys are permanently in a hurry? I have no problem with people stopping to chat on a sidewalk. Actually it's one of the things I like here. I have only been living in my new neighbourhood for a few months but I already know lots of the neighbours, the porteros of other buildings and the small shop owners and I would be quite upset if I didn't have anyone stop and talk to me as I do my morning or evening shop. The small village atmosphere in the midst of a big city is quite charming. It may take a bit longer to get things done but it is a much more pleasant experience. I would be very annoyed of some gringo deliberately crashed into me because he confused a sidewalk with a motorway. If you are in a rush get a taxi. Sidewalks are for wandering and chatting. Maybe not in NYC, but you are not in NYC! Please adapt or go back, rather than trying to impose your habits on my new community.

I understand the annoyance b/c I have dealt with the same wandering pedestrians for years, but I lean more towards Mano Negra's attitude that if you're in such a hurry, that's your problem, not theirs. I naturally walk really fast, and I weave in and out of people all day long, but it's not something that bothers me or would ever make me consider banging into someone intentionally. You guys need to chill out a bit and learn to smell the jasmines every once in a while. This goes into the complaint category of people who are just downright unhappy here. Geez.

How odd that many of you seem prepared to stoop to acts of aggression just because you don't like such a trivial cultural difference. It seems to me that porteños have every right to treat their sidewalks as they like and to call them rude and unmannered is downright arrogant. I see myself as a guest in this country and while there are obviously some things that I would prefer were different, I don't consider I have the right to denigrate their society because I come from a "superior" one. Very sad.

Nobody acts like being from a superior one, we are talking about things that should be respected in society.

How odd that many of you seem prepared to stoop to acts of aggression just because you don't like such a trivial cultural difference. It seems to me that porteños have every right to treat their sidewalks as they like and to call them rude and unmannered is downright arrogant. I see myself as a guest in this country and while there are obviously some things that I would prefer were different, I don't consider I have the right to denigrate their society because I come from a "superior" one. Very sad.

Interesting comment - they have every right to treat THEIR sidewalks as they like. I thought the majority here don't' pay taxes or hide all of their dollars under their mattress so how can it be theirs? Maybe if they paid more taxes the sidewalks would be repaired. For the "Paris of South America" I have never seen sidewalks in Paris that need such repair. Of course, the Parisians are proud of their city and pay taxes to maintain it.

Back