Kicillof Pays To 92% Of Bondholders, Griesa's Move Now?

Griesa saving Argentina? Ha ha!

Now now, you guys know better than putting words in other's mouths.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd go back and quote myself saying I'm sympathetic to
Argentina and don't think the holdouts deserve anything, but anyways,
my point is that he has the power to determine find a amicable resolution
to the issue. If you think Argentina should just default then that's fine,
but la Presidencia has said over and over that the nation will not/doesn't
want to, so working with Greisa seems to be the only logical way to do this
IMO.

I'm not saying that all politicians who are dirty go to jail. I think Dick Cheney is a sleaze and should have been indicted. Bill Clinton was impeached by the House for lying under oath and obstruction of justice. I don't know about Sudan and Haiti. The Scalia / Jeb issue is debatable - depending on which direction you actually wanted to the vote to go. We should eliminate lobbying, period. In my opinion it is legalized bribery. But, under the law it is legal.

There are many examples where politicians and judges do go to jail. In this case I don't believe Griesa has been bought. This decision is completely correlated with both his prior decisions as well as prior decisions by the US Supreme Court. Having said that, I don't agree with the decision. I think it is bad law, it serves only the loan sharks, and it undermines sovereign immunity. Yes, yes, yes I know Argentina explicitly waived that right but the impact of the decision is still the same.

What I find really funny are the posters now hanging around the city. Afuera Yanquis! Afuera Buitres! It's really the Yanquis who are supporting Argentina. There have been multiple amicus briefs presented to the Supreme Court by the elected US government in support of Argentina's position.

What the posters should say is: Afuera Tribunal Independente! Afuera Buitres! That would be accurate, and quite the humorous twist.

I think a lot of people are sympathetic to Argentina. I don't know anyone who hasn't found themselves/friends/loved ones in Bankruptcy,
damn close to it, or recovering from it. However, the way Argentina handled it wasn't very humble as has been said.

The important thing we need to address from this whole experience is the fact that there is no Chapter 7/11/13 for sovereign nations.
I have no idea how it would be created and administered, but something similar to Chapter 11 via the IMF/WB (yes I hate them too) would
prevent these sorts of things from happening again. Yes, Argentina ceded a lot of sovereign rights by agreeing to have the 92%'s bonds
subject to NY/US law, but this is problematic irregardless.

It's that Evita Peronist league making them, I rip them down, the ones that explicitly say it's the USA's fault or imply it, whenever I see them.
There's enough BS here about the States and animosity that I don't think the flames of misinformation should be flamed, though even BAHerald
(the excuse of a news entity that it is) does this too sadly.

I agree; I think the Anti-Buitre/ Anti-Griesa propaganda is just that-- schlock for mass consumption. Argentina is a sovereign country and should assert her sovereignty in this case in spite of the fact that previous Argentine administrations made serious attempts to undermine it by issuing bonds under NY law. The silly propaganda campaigns do no good.

That said, your point that somehow the US justice system is equitable while the Argentine one is corrupt is laughable; both are incredibly corrupt-- but the US, with greater resources, takes corruption to new heights thus far unreachable to petty Argentine pols. The division of powers envisaged by the US founding fathers has been utterly decimated by Supreme Courts that decide elections and FISA courts that rubber stamp assassinations ordered by the executive branch. And this isn't even bringing the influence of Wall Street into the equation (the Financial Industry has 4 lobbyists for every member of congress for crissakes!)

On the other hand, Argentina has at least managed to jail some of its criminal former leaders, something the US has unfortunately yet to do.

Corruption is rampant in both nations and almost all for that matter, but I think the point being made is that there are degrees of corruption that lets the state
function and people seek justice still, and in that regard, at least based on the number of "likes" our Expat community feels that it is worse here.

Our justice system leaves much to be desired, but at least people still get to see their day in court (sometimes) where here many cases die (and people too)
in legal purgatory, waiting for the Honorable Godot.

Like the US did with the Kyoto Protocol?

Kyoto required Senate approval which, unfortunately, it did not get. Kyoto is also very different from a financial agreement with a foreign government under the laws of New York State.

Quite well played by Kiciloff until now.

It's a bit difficult understanding the case in all its aspect: Griesa has indeed the power to help his friends by having weird interpretations, but his power is also limited.

Griesa cannot really impede Argentina from paying the creditors of the restructured debt (Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act), seems this could give rise to a legal action by Argentina.

Also to be mentionned: while Argentina has paid 539 millions to the BoNY (paid 300 millions more but I don't know where, if anyone knows), those 539 millions are indeed in the BoNY account at... the BCRA (he he). Not sure what will happen regarding that but in those 539 millions, just 238 millions are under the NY legislation. The BoNY can simply refuse to bring back those millions in the US or maybe Griesa can order the bank to repatriate this money, in which case Griesa would face another sovereign aspect = the Galli ruling by the Argentine Supreme Court (if an huge crisis would occur then, Argentina could be entitled to stop paying if the country can't face its obligations = back to the start).

Since Griesa deciding that Argentina should default (indirectly of course) would harm Griesa's friends (would be a default on 11 billions?), I don't think he'll opt for that, even if they bought CDS to cover them.

Main concern is not only for Argentina = the BODEN 2015, etc. will need to be repaid and that's a lot more of money. Those creditors are likely quite anxious right now. Starting in the end of 2015, many payments will need to be done (nice gift for the next government but that's how it goes in most of the countries).

Another point that make the whole picture even more complex: if Argentina is to pay Griesa's friends, main concern will be avoiding paying in full the creditors who accepted the debt restructuration.

I wouldn't bet a lot on what will happen today, but my guess is that Griesa will become more conciliant. Anyway, if he wants to keep opening the Pandora's box, things will turn really wild, and will also affect the US interests... But what wouldn't you do for good friends?!

Quite a parody of Justice until now, let's hope for the best (for Argentina)

From what I read, $$$$ are still in Argentina at this moment. Transfer needs to be completed by the end of today's business day. Will see how the meeting goes today with the old judge. Everyone playing hardball.
Edit add

........Bank of New York (BONY) in Argentina but has to be transferred today to arrive on Monday to the accounts of holders of restructured debt.

http://www.infobae.com/2014/06/26/1576305-griesa-cito-una-audiencia-holdouts-y-argentina-este-viernes-la-manana

This Griesa is a miserable human being. It's like someone who has 25 coins in his pocket, and a guy without amputated legs asks for money from him, but instead of giving the guy without legs a coin, he kicks him in the face as hard as he can. These sort of people infuriate me to no end. I'm not saying Argentina has politicians that are any better, but how can you be so arrogant and non compliant when you know and entire country of people could suffer grave consequences?

Leverage for Argentina, settled bond holders accept payment away from New York and US courts: put the monkey on the back of the Bank of New York and no money for bond holders from credit default swap insurance:

There’s a chance that credit-default swaps may not be triggered if Argentina makes a bond payment that’s blocked by BNY Mellon, according to Exotix’s Culverhouse.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=14093&ArticleId=743098

US Federal Court blocked the payment. NML has asked Griesa to find Argentina in contempt. However, because the payment was blocked that gives Argentina 30 day grace period to negotiate. They will not technically default until the grace period runs out. Griesa is holding another hearing this morning (Friday) at 10:30 NYT.

There is more drama here than in a Mexican soap opera.

Back