Kindle question

Delaluz26

Registered
Hi all,
I just bought a kindle in the states and am not back in Argentina yet. This may be a totally silly question, but wondering if it will work in Argentina and if I will possibly be able to still check out books from my local library in Chicago while in Argentina and/or if the kindle unlimited will work there? And when I say kindle I mean the paperwhite, not a kindle fire or anything. I wanted a way to continue to access new books in english while in Argentina... It seems like on this kind of kindle I cannot use a vpn but maybe that's not true?
Thanks!

Hi all,
I just bought a kindle in the states and am not back in Argentina yet. This may be a totally silly question, but wondering if it will work in Argentina and if I will possibly be able to still check out books from my local library in Chicago while in Argentina and/or if the kindle unlimited will work there? And when I say kindle I mean the paperwhite, not a kindle fire or anything. I wanted a way to continue to access new books in english while in Argentina... It seems like on this kind of kindle I cannot use a vpn but maybe that's not true?
Thanks!
Just received a kindle paperwhite from my dear friend here in Argentina who spent a month in Miami and I love it and it is working very well.
. I have not tried to access books from my local library from my former hometown: I use it to read books I purchase. I love the kindle paperwhite as it’s waterproof and great for travel.

Hi all,
Thanks!
Yes you can use your kindle in Argentina or in any other country. If you want to purchase and load new kindle books, you need an Amazon account and a wi-fi connection. No need to use a VPN.

Hi all,
Thanks!
Yes the kindle paperwhite works fine in Argentina. I borrow kindle books from the Boston public library, which hooks to my USA Amazon account. I download from Amazon and transfer via USB which is not the common way to load books onto kindle. I like to keep it offline. I assume syncing over the internet works fine as well.

My US Kindle Unlimited subscription works down here so it seems like there isn’t much Amazon is doing in terms of region locking.

My US Kindle Unlimited subscription works down here so it seems like there isn’t much Amazon is doing in terms of region locking.
Amazing thank you because I signed up for three free months of kindle unlimited.

Yes the kindle paperwhite works fine in Argentina. I borrow kindle books from the Boston public library, which hooks to my USA Amazon account. I download from Amazon and transfer via USB which is not the common way to load books onto kindle. I like to keep it offline. I assume syncing over the internet works fine as well.
Thank you! I hope this works for us too! I may ask you later how you accomplish this transfer but I'll try it first myself and see if I can figure it out. I'm so excited to know that I can continue to read new books in English!!!

There a book store called Libros del Pasaje at Thames 1762, in Palermo, that has a whole section of books in English. If you like real books.

And they have an online store

Yeah, it's a lifesaver here. I prefer real books and I have heard books pass through Aduana ok without the usual scam / theft / extortion, but still -- it's nice to just get a book instantly and start reading. Has been a godsend for me, really.

** I'll tell you a cool trick too, if you can't find a book on kindle, I have been using 1dollarscan.com to:

- Buy the cheapest used copy of a book on amazon US
- Mail it directly to them (for a small extra fee)
- They scan it
- You get a PDF to load onto your kindle
(They also offer OCR, which is great for highlighting, at an extra fee, along with they have a special built-in software on their site that will trim and optimize the pages to your device, so it displays as good as is possible. It's a great service when you can't find a book on kindle.)

I have kindle unlimited for the next 3 years, no issues on my oasis. its been chugging along since 2017 or whenever i bought it. Been using it between USA and Argentina for a while now.

Back