Kirchner's funeral - politics as usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraSara

Registered
Just read in the paper that Vice President Cobos and former president Duhalde were barred from attending the Pink House's "velatorio".

It would seem that , teary eyes or not, Cristina is keeping an eye on her black list, and still regards old adversaries as "The Enemy".

...the more they stay the same. Unfortunately mobri1130 there are people here who will try to distort anything to give vent to their petty hatreds.

Cobos, Duhalde (and Carrio) have all chosen to not attend the velatorio (their own words except for Carrio who has not spoken at all). Look it up.

Really, I have no problem if you are against what Nestor Kirchner did during his time in office, and have no problem if the faults, misdeeds and errors of a public figure are discussed here, there are many things he did which I don't like. Unfortunately I have seen very little of this here over the last few days, a lot a vague accusations, personal attacks, mouthing off and cut and paste wars certainly. I know this is only an expats forum but it to some degree reflects the broader debate (if it can be called that) going on in Argentine society. I think this does a disservice to Argentina, without moving on with some kind of mature assessment of his politics how can the nation learn from history and progress?

Moxon said:
Cobos, Duhalde (and Carrio) have all chosen to not attend the velatorio (their own words except for Carrio who has not spoken at all). Look it up.

Your are wrong - according to the papers Cobos and Duhalde were ASKED not to attend the velatorio, and respect the family's wishes. Check your sources again.

It would be politically stupid for them to skip the funeral out of their own free will, although I wish they had the guts to do it. They had no love for Kirchner when he was alive, and it is dishonest to pretend to mourn his death.

SaraSara said:
Your are wrong - according to the papers Cobos and Duhalde were ASKED not to attend the velatorio, and respect the family's wishes.

It would be politically stupid for them to miss the funeral out of their own free will. Check your sources again.

Thankyou Sara, yes they were asked, not barred as you incorrectly stated and agreed it would be best to avoid the inevitable ugly confrontations with large numbers of supporters in the plaza. It's certainly not the first time this has happened at the funeral of a politician.

If someone is asked not to attend, that is defacto barring them. I can't imagine anyone would be so ill-mannered as to go to a funeral if the family made it clear they were not welcome.

I'm pretty amazed that regardless of the past issues, you wouldn't have the current vice-president nor former president at a state funeral. It certainly doesn't look good.

OK, if you want to call that a defacto ban, at this stage that's not what their press people are saying nor the media, if it comes out that they were banned then I disagree with it entirely. I just assumed they would not attend from the start given the current political climate (the latest episiode of union thuggery and the Cobos tie breaker) not out of any ill will but to avoid the real chance of some kind of confrontation.

Well i´m here on av d mayo, and i´ve noticed that the people have used nestor´s death as another excuse to cover every availible surface with graffiti.

Absolutely shameful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back