Usama's Funeral Bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

CedarPawn

Registered
Attention all Americans in BA: We have witnessed a great victory over the bad guys, and we need to CELEBRATE!! An EPIC bash is in order, and for lack of a better idea on short notice I nominate Sugar (we all know where it is), this evening, Monday 2 APR. Be there!!!!

I´m sorry, but I think it´s a little hasty to start celebrating... It´s beyond morbid and disgusting, and very harmful for our image. Yes, he was a terrible person on a lot of levels, and you have the right to your shin-dig, but I think it´s sick to celebrate anyone´s death. Why don´t you guys brandish some big American flags and cowboy hats, burn some Korans and chant "U-S-A! U-S-A!" while you´re at it? *rolling eyes"

Now that Osama has been killed, he will undoubtedly be regarded from now on as a martyr (I´m not saying that I agree, just read the Koran 5:32 sometime) . But we don´t know what form of retaliation or consequence there will be as a result.

I don´t care about the opinions of short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites. If the US is going to take care of it´s image at home and abroad and genuinely believe that we are a civilized and dignified nation, I know that we have to look past the death of a single man, and start treating the root of the problem and NOT the symptoms.

And with that, I am going back to bed!

Very well, the righteously indignant have been noted. I wish Lauren23 had been around to call me a narrow minded hypocrite when I was ass-deep in sand, perhaps I would have rethought my barbaric ways. I will drink, and be happy we've won a round.

Also, don't reference the Qu'ran to me, you snooty strumpet, I've spent the better part of my adult life studying it with an eye to dealing with its adherants.

CedarPawn: Name-calling ("snooty strumpet") does not phase me. I respect your opinion, and the fact that you went to war and put yourself in danger to defend the US.

However, you have to understand that I, like quite a few people, both citizens of the US and other countries, know that this whole thing is far from over, and that realistically it is too soon to say what the long-term effects may be. The reaction/commentaries popping up to the images posted on the internet of people celebrating outside the White House (ex: in La Nacion, etc.) are not particulary favorable, and at least for me, cause a bit of embarassment (these images from tonight outside the White House are not completely unlike those that I saw from different countries who applauded and cheered the horrific attacks almost 10 years ago). I love my country dearly, and am proud to be American, but I don't commend all the actions that we have taken in the past or present, nor do I believe that it's really an occasion to rejoice. My point of view.

I feel that in a lot of ways, celebrating something of this nature only further fans the flames of an unpopular international image (not only here). I'm not saying that Bin Laden wasn't a monster, but I believe that on a lot of levels, there's not much reason to celebrate. While I reitterate that it's your opinion, your party, etc., I personally, strongly don't agree with it, and have the right to express mine.

Well, this "short sighted narrow minded hypocrite" happens to enjoy a bit of name calling, but believes that those who dish shouldn't be squeamish when it comes back around.

Since we're being civil now, I'll freely admit that on some points I actually agree with you. I'm certainly under no delusions that this is the end, or that our enemies won't make use of Usama as a martyr. The movement toward a global Caliphate has more than one head to be sure, and one man's death isn't going to make it all go away.

I'm hardly the neocon, USA chanting sort you describe, having had more than my share of gripes with culture, official policies etc. I recognize, however, that it's an us or them situation whether we like it or not, and sometimes survival needs to trump preferences. When someone who wishes us dead is removed, we need not delight in the death itself, but that there has been justice, and hopefully that because we killed him other innocents will live. Maybe that's the root of our difference here (besides your initial condescending insolence); it's our victory I want to celebrate, not the mere fact of his death.

As for our image, well, would it be so detrimental to be proud when we win? So what, after all, if people chant USA? It's a natural and good instinct to want your tribe to win, and no less vital now that we're enlightened and think we're above such things. Would people like us more if we were passive and apologetic? If they would, I for one am not interested in accomodating them.

Anyway, have a drink all the same. You'll feel better about the whole mess, I promise.

I would tend to think that Osamas days are over, however, without some evidence I will remain skeptical. And why was he buried at sea?

You should all celebrate what a bunch of retards you are. How gullible can people really be. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Expat Life 26
A Expat Life 2
Back