Knee Surgery in Baires

johnny. its the one good thing about the us. once you qualify for medicare life is good. it costs about 300.00 per month and is deducted fron your social security payment. you get automatic cost of living increases . its been about 200.00 a year.
Thanks for your response! I actually have medicare A and part B. I've been thinking about going back to the states for a few months and possibly have some health concerns addressed there rather than here. I'm pretty clueless as to how much one can rely on Medicare to reimburse for various treatments so your post was welcome. More food for thought.

Here are the average patient costs for total knee arthroplasty for people with Medicare Part B, according to Medicare.gov
  • At a hospital outpatient department: $1,818.
  • At an ambulatory surgical center: $2,054.
If you have Medicare Supplement Insurance, or Medigap, it could cover some or all of the out-of-pocket costs.

For me, I will try the knee injection again, if I can find a doctor in Baires that uses imaging. Without imaging, it's a crap shoot whether it will work. As far as surgery, if you have Medicare, it makes sense to do knee surgery in the USA. It has to be deemed "medically necessary" in order for it to get it approved.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response! I actually have medicare A and part B. I've been thinking about going back to the states for a few months and possibly have some health concerns addressed there rather than here. I'm pretty clueless as to how much one can rely on Medicare to reimburse for various treatments so your post was welcome. More food for thought.
Straight Medicare as opposed to an Advantage plan typically covers 80% of approved fees after the yearly deductible is met. The remaining 20% is paid out of pocket or through a supplemental or 'Medigap' policy. There are specific times during the year when one can enroll in the supplemental. The longer one waits after age 65 the more expensive these policies become.

Back