Knife fight on the train

Dmiller

Registered
i have been taking the once train for about 2 months now and have yet to see any violence until tonight. Ofc i have seen people snorting coke and smoking weed on the train but thats nothing to what i saw tonight. I was relaxing smoking a cig on the train car were people can carry their bikes( yes i was smoking on the train, but thats not the story). Then a guy came on the train and looked pissed as soon as he stepped into the car. Well he took off his belt( wrapped it around his hand), then broke a beer bottle, and then started to look for a fight. he came to me at first and all i said was "QUE" cause i had no idea what he was saying. the next guy he went to pulled out a HUGE! knife. At this point i started walking to the farthest part of the train i could.

i have no idea what happened next and i didnt care to know. Call me what you will but there was no way i was gong to stick around to see what happened. It was kind of ironic because earlier i was telling people how i never had any trouble on that train. Well tonight was a little bit of a reality check.

I am not trying to scare anyone with this story , i am just sharing my experience. You dont have to be scared in traveling in the city . Just be alert and never ride in the bicycle train car at night!

I understand what you are talking about. It seems that I have seen more crazy things in this city in the 3.5 years that I have been here than my wife in her 40 years living here. You have to love this city that requires that we live our lives with our eyes wide open. You did the right thing in getting as far away from the violent activity. There does seem to be a good number of people in the city with questionable sanity.

The train car where you can carry bikes is usually the worst of the train and the most dangerous...

I've also never really seen any violence here until recently when it seems that so many people are looking for fights.
Yesterday, I was walking home from a kiosco mid-afternoon when I saw a guy storm up to a girl in her late teams and start screaming at her in the vilest way (and then start kicking and smacking her) ...in broad daylight in Colegiales! I used to see fighting and violence like that pretty often where I'm from in the UK and it was always so nice to feel comparatively safer here.

Glad you're alright Dmiller, and good info about the bike car.

I feel (keyword feel because I've been here a relatively short time) that besides criminality, there's kind of a tough guy culture here developing that bystanders don't know how to deal with. Something happens, and stupefaction seems to result from onlookers. Is it a fight, a thief, a drunk guy, connected people I should stay away from? Do I go to jail myself if I step in because they're minors? Is it a dispute between people that know each other that I should stay out of? Is that guy just in a difficult situation and needs a break? That decision-making process is all normal, but here it seems elongated, as if people don't know quite what they're own culture regarding the matter is.

JHB1216 said:
You have to love this city that requires that we live our lives with our eyes wide open.

This is so true. I do love this city and I am not scared to walk on the streets alone at 4 am ( I am a guy). I do keep my eyes open at all time and not in a paranoid way but I just like to be alert. The best thing you can do in any situation is not to panic and just try to make the best possible decision you can. Another piece of advice I can give is dont be linear in the way you travel. Always know and take different routes to get to the same point. You never know what will happen so to have a backup plan is always smart.

Back