Knife robbery attempt in Palermo

manannan

Registered
Just thought I'd share my experience with you all...

Was walking home from a bar in Palermo Hollywood last night. I was alone and the streets were empty but I was only going a few blocks and it's supposed to be a good area so I figured I was ok.

I heard footsteps behind me and I turned around to see 2 guys in hooded rainjackets running towards me (it was a rainy night). I was a bit alarmed at first but then I thought I was just being paranoid and they were just going to run past me. Still, I moved to the road side of the footpath.

They didn't run past me. The guy in front stopped right beside me and took out what looked like a machete. Didn't quite catch what he said because the instant I saw the silhouette of the knife I instinctively shouted "Fuck off!" and ran down the street as fast as I could. They followed me for a second or two but then gave up. Possibly because I was carrying a knife of my own which I flashed at them as I ran (I wouldn't have a clue what to actually do with a knife if it came to it). I get the feeling that if I'd waited even 1/2 a second longer before running, the other guy would have cut me off and I would have been in serious trouble.

Outcome: I still have all my belongings, but I'll think twice about walking down a deserted street late at night, even if it's in a supposedly good area.

I was walking down Arevalo towards Santa Fe - I think they appeared just after I'd crossed Costa Rica. It was about 3am on a Friday morning. I'd been at Frank's bar (you know that place where you have to dial a "secret" code in a telephone booth to get inside the bar). Possibly it's a good place for robberies because it's a relatively expensive bar on a quiet street, not much going on nearby.

I'm still a bit shaken up because of this. Hopefully reading this will help someone else avoid the same situation!!

I will never walk alone at 3 AM doesn't matter which area I'm in. I know the area very well, is close to the station every time I have to cross the train rails under that tunnel I'm going through it with the eyes wide open, and it's in daylight, and never alone at night, can't imagine why someone would do that. Do you have a death wish?.

You are very lucky if these tugs were looking for trouble they could cut you in little bits, you never know if they're are on drugs or what.

Don't do that again, if you must don't be alone.

No joke but two dress-up trannies tried to rob myself and another expat near the very same location a few years ago. they're getting bolder. It's a good thing you got away.

manannan said:
They didn't run past me. The guy in front stopped right beside me and took out what looked like a machete.

Now that must have an been an altogether adrenline rushing experience :eek:. I bet they gave up because you were hauling ass big time. And that is a good thing.. thank God you could haul ass.

I have encountered similar creatures in the US, they know the ods are you are drunk when you leave the bar and that makes you easy prey. One of these times I was in NY and I was very drunk and knew it, so I just gave em all my stuff made some jokes with em and went on my way.

Sure it sucked but I was not even going to wait for the confrontation I knew it was coming so I defused it with a.. Ahh you got me, here is all my stuff! Thinking.. go smoke some crack on me you African #&&@#&*@ of @&*&#!

These loosers typically hang out a few hours late at night outside the bar or bars roll a few drunks. Then I am sure they head over to the crack house afterwards.. or here I guess that would be the casa paco.

manannan said:
Possibly because I was carrying a knife of my own

Assuming you're not a budding sashimi chef, I'm shocked at your revelation. And actually quite disgusted. Shame on you.

palermochica said:
Assuming you're not a budding sashimi chef, I'm shocked at your revelation. And actually quite disgusted. Shame on you.

Why? What is so shocking?

Although my advice would be don't ever carry anything or have anything in your house that you are not trained to use and more importantly, prepared to use. Know the consequences.

As for the rest - 3 a.m. is not a good time to be walking along in BsAs, no matter how "safe" the area seems to be. The only people out at that time are those who have probably had a few drinks and those that are looking to prey on the people that have had a few drinks. Play it safe, take a cab.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you:(

Wow! Sorry for you. Are you a good runner? How did you outrun two, I assume kids, when you were, I assume, tipsy?

Kives are considered "Armas blancas" and it's NOT legal to carry them within Capital. Pepper spray, while not as cool and slapping like a good knife, is legal.

Remember those details when confronted with the uniformed thieves., and sorry and thanks for sharing - it's tradition.

manannan said:
Just thought I'd share my experience with you all...

Was walking home from a bar in Palermo Hollywood last night. I was alone and the streets were empty but I was only going a few blocks and it's supposed to be a good area so I figured I was ok.

I heard footsteps behind me and I turned around to see 2 guys in hooded rainjackets running towards me (it was a rainy night). I was a bit alarmed at first but then I thought I was just being paranoid and they were just going to run past me. Still, I moved to the road side of the footpath.

They didn't run past me. The guy in front stopped right beside me and took out what looked like a machete. Didn't quite catch what he said because the instant I saw the silhouette of the knife I instinctively shouted "Fuck off!" and ran down the street as fast as I could. They followed me for a second or two but then gave up. Possibly because I was carrying a knife of my own which I flashed at them as I ran (I wouldn't have a clue what to actually do with a knife if it came to it). I get the feeling that if I'd waited even 1/2 a second longer before running, the other guy would have cut me off and I would have been in serious trouble.

Outcome: I still have all my belongings, but I'll think twice about walking down a deserted street late at night, even if it's in a supposedly good area.

I was walking down Arevalo towards Santa Fe - I think they appeared just after I'd crossed Costa Rica. It was about 3am on a Friday morning. I'd been at Frank's bar (you know that place where you have to dial a "secret" code in a telephone booth to get inside the bar). Possibly it's a good place for robberies because it's a relatively expensive bar on a quiet street, not much going on nearby.

I'm still a bit shaken up because of this. Hopefully reading this will help someone else avoid the same situation!!

I know you think Palermo Hollywood and you think "good neighbourhood" but there's quite a few blocks in there that are pretty scuzzy -- and the closer to the train you get the more dodgy it can be at night. There's been a lot of muggings / break-ins / even some rapes around there. A friend of mine lives at Soler and Arevalo and he witnessed a girl getting mugged in the middle of the day on the bridge that crosses and becomes Ciudad de la Paz -- he chased the couple off that had robbed her, but they still got away with her stuff. He also had a confrontation a few metres from his own doorway with some guy that was obviously high as a kite trying to get some cash from him.

Like most places in this city, MOST of the time it is a perfectly nice neighbourhood, but that doesn't mean one should walk around late at night alone (I had a friend who used to ride her bike through there and cross the railway at Dorrego at midnight on her way home from a writing club -- she couldn't understand why I thought she was insane)

Sorry this happened to you, but what were you thinking, getting ornery? Hopefully this never happens again, but if it does, just hand over your stuff. Are 100 pesos and a cell phone really worth getting stabbed for? (a lot of these guys are already half-dead, brains eaten away by the paco; there's just no way of knowing which will get violent if provoked.) Possessions are replaceable, you are not.

Wow, Arevalo and Santa Fe? I live right there. I'll point out: where you were walking down, right before hitting santa fe, where it happened - there's that side entrance to the train tracks and there are always sketchy characters around there. About a year and a half ago, two hooded guys tried to rob me right there (middle of the day), and I just ran and they didn't follow.

Back