La casa de las aceitunas

Uncle Dermot

Registered
As I am probably living BA soon I am sharing a little secret I was keeping for myself. There is this very old shop in Almagro (right behind the Abasto shopping centre, Billinghurst con Guardia Vieja) where they sell fantastic Mediterranean products. Being from a Mediterranean country myself I can tell you that they have very high quality products, plus the place is very authentic and it is perfect if you want to take some nice pics. They mainly sell olives (in big tanks), the owners have Greek surnames, so I guess the business was originally set up by Greek immigrants. You can also find almonds, nuts, peppers in olive oil and other delicacies. Prices are ok and you can find products you would never find anywhere else here (original Italian capers for instance). The surrounding area is pretty pleasant for a walk and this old part of the city is perfect for relaxing in an old bar while sipping a drink.
I found this website, where you can find some pics of the shop, they also show the address and the phone number:
http://www.minube.com/rincon/la-casa-de-las-aceitunas-a158091
:D

Cheers..will check it out for sure. If you know of any other good spots in that neighbourhood (Almagro, Balvanera) please let us know before you head off...and bon voyage!

I love Almagro, it is such an interesting neighbourhood. A couple of months ago I stopped by a very cool restaurant/cheese shop where they were preparing great tablas (didn't try them, but they looked fantastic), it was either on Corrientes or Cordoba, but I won't be able to find it again!

I just walked by that today on our way to lunch. I didn't go in but made a mental note. Funny that you posted about it today so I don't even have to write it down. LOL.

By the way I managed to find again the restaurant where I had a tabla de picadas 2 months ago. It is called La Tasca de la Casa del Queso (Corrientes 3587), but I checked some previous posts on this site before and everybody seems to know it already
:)

Uncle Dermot said:
I love Almagro, it is such an interesting neighbourhood. A couple of months ago I stopped by a very cool restaurant/cheese shop where they were preparing great tablas (didn't try them, but they looked fantastic), it was either on Corrientes or Cordoba, but I won't be able to find it again!

"La casa del Queso" on Corrientes 3587, I did try the nice tablas, also they have good "artesanal" beer too
here's the link http://www.lacasadelqueso.com.ar/artesanal.htm

Back