Lame expats are lame

Status
Not open for further replies.
LAtoBA said:
Lucky enough for me my IQ is high enough to be able to distinguish between the actions of a few versus making sweeping negative assumptions about said group just because I've been "burned" by them more than once.

Kudos to you and your high IQ.

LAtoBA said:
Right. Ergo, prejudice and/or stereotypes.
I suggest you read my post over and over again until you have read and understood all of it, e.g. "The majority with 'gpds' won't attack you, they are common, gentle folks".

LAtoBA said:
... I don't see how rage would be an appropriate response. And in my mind if I was on a deserted street with a young group of kids I would be on guard regardless of them looking "South American" or not. That's just common sense.
After each incident it took several weeks for my body not to release a rush of adrenalin and rage - I understand you lack some understanding of reflective bodily response and never "have been there" yourself, which is a good position for a 'holier than thou' attitude.

As for rage, that is how my subconscience reacts when I am attacked, you know nothing of my background. Result: They got nothing from me except a dearly bought lesson not to attack people.

LAtoBA said:
And in my mind if I was on a deserted street with a young group of kids I would be on guard regardless of them looking "South American" or not. That's just common sense. ... Being afraid of a particular group based on limited experience with said group is prejudiced, ignorant and narrow-minded.
Ergo, prejudice and/or stereotypes, ignorant and narrow-minded towards young people - racism in the extreme.

LAtoBA said:
And in my mind if I was on a deserted street with a young group of kids I would be on guard regardless of them looking "South American" or not. That's just common sense.

Does you high IQ not enable you to refrain from making sweeping generalizations about young people?

And I sincerely hope you were not trying to say that I or anyone else with a different opinion than yours is not a rational-thinking human being.

LAtoBA said:
When I was in college my Psychology professor called racism a real psychological disorder that is often bred from fear or ignorance. In your case sounds like fear.

Well, yes, a college psychology professor WOULD say that. By this rational, any reasonable precaution could be reduced to disordered paranoia.

So than means LA to BA's narrow mindedness towards young people is because he or she so too afraid of them to know any better -- or maybe too ignorant. Oh, wait, his/her IQ is too high for that.

CedarPawn said:
Well, yes, a college psychology professor WOULD say that. By this rational, any reasonable precaution could be reduced to disordered paranoia.

Well let me just be as blunt as possible and put and end to all this song and dance.

I am black. If and when I've encountered people who are "afraid" of me based upon the color of my skin because of their "previous experiences" or limited interactions with people like me, I do find it extremely offensive, narrow-minded and yes, pretty damn racist on their part. As I said before, people can call it what they want. All I can continue to do is alter their myopic grasp on reality through being me.....a positive person.

Ciao.

You seem like a good guy, and that you mean well, but calling this a psychological disorder (or racism) is harsh and ignorant. If you go out to eat, order gazpacho, followed by a steak, and spend the night sick with food poisoning, you're going to associate that feeling with all the food you ate within a temporal window. Maybe it was the steak, maybe it was the gazpacho, but all the same, you're not going to eat either anywhere anytime soon without feeling sick to your stomach. Is all steak going to give you food poisoning? Obviously not, but for a while the two will be associated. A food that you've eaten a thousand times in your life is going to suffer less from this association than one that you're trying for the first time – so if you're black, grew up around black people, and you've never met an Indian, and you get robbed by a black guy and an Indian guy in tandem, you're going to associate Indian people with robbing you. The associated fight/flee response has absolutely nothing to do with IQ, and is active at the sympathetic nervous system level. If you call that a psychological disorder, I'd hate to see well-adjusted.

LAtoBA said:
Short answer, this really isn't a difficult concept. Yes, it makes you racist. "Terrible" racist I don't know. Your irrational fear of people "racially" different from you based on a few negative life experiences with those people, makes it so. When I was in college my Psychology professor called racism a real psychological disorder that is often bred from fear or ignorance. In your case sounds like fear. You should've sought out counseling for your unfortunate experiences long ago. Instead, you've been carrying around all this baggage for god know hows long, assuming that everyone ethnically different from you is out to get you.

demokritos said:
A food that you've eaten a thousand times in your life is going to suffer less from this association than one that you're trying for the first time – so if you're black, grew up around black people, and you've never met an Indian, and you get robbed by a black guy and an Indian guy in tandem, you're going to associate Indian people with robbing you. The associated fight/flee response has absolutely nothing to do with IQ, and is active at the sympathetic nervous system level. If you call that a psychological disorder, I'd hate to see well-adjusted.

What's your point? That doesn't make it right or excusable or that it's not racism. Psychological disorder aside I call it wrong and hence my suggestion that anybody who feels that way should seek out counseling to address an irrational way of thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back