Landlady demands "clean" US bills for deposit

hahaha,

That's cold blooded. I'm sure he was like " wait what ? :eek: "

bookgirl531 said:
The worst case of this problem occurred when they wouldn't accept our fresh-from-the-bank bills at the Bolivian border crossing and I actually had to leave my boyfriend as collateral at the border to go get "cleaner" money.

Any bank will give you brand new bills, if you ask for them. They may want a day's notice for large sums, but they do get them. Generally still in stamped packages.

I am exaggerating a bit of course, but that's a given, im frustrated and ranting i thought this is what this place was about! complaining wont get me anywhere, ill get the stupid clean bills and if they still complain i go somewhere else, end of story.

that being said you said yourself you have no idea if my bills were old or not and they absolutely weren't, they looked perfectly normal to me, she agreed they were fine too but still refused to take them as their full value, that's all.

What it does for me is to raise a question over the subjectivity of this matter and how it can be abused. And Argentines abuse, not all, but they do: they overcharge anytime they can. And so do Colombians, and Thais or whatever, so what, that doesn't make it any better and that doesn't excuse this kind of attitude. That's all.

DonPiter said:
And Argentines abuse, not all, but they do: they overcharge anytime they can. And so do Colombians, and Thais or whatever, so what, that doesn't make it any better and that doesn't excuse this kind of attitude. That's all.

Quite true. I'm a local here but a foreigner in Colonia, and Uruguayans get out their scalping knives as soon as they notice my Argentine tags. It is sickening.

I didn't see your bills but didn't you say they were stained ? If the bills weren't damaged or stained, then I don't understand what the problem was in the first place. If she keeps giving you a hard time when there is no reasonable cause, your best bet is to find lodging elsewhere.

Rant on my friend, although I do find it a little offensive when you start despectively generalizing and calling all Argentinians unreasonable. Alot of Argentinians are unscrupulous, I won't even argue that, but to paint all Argentinians or any one culture, nationality or race with the same broad brush is a little much and you are bound to offend people.

Just think if someone came on here and started painting all Colombians with the same brush, i'm sure you'd get offended and it would be justified.

Good luck with your landlady btw :D
DonPiter said:
I am exaggerating a bit of course, but that's a given, im frustrated and ranting i thought this is what this place was about! complaining wont get me anywhere, ill get the stupid clean bills and if they still complain i go somewhere else, end of story.

that being said you said yourself you have no idea if my bills were old or not and they absolutely weren't, they looked perfectly normal to me, she agreed they were fine too but still refused to take them as their full value, that's all.

What it does for me is to raise a question over the subjectivity of this matter and how it can be abused. And Argentines abuse, not all, but they do: they overcharge anytime they can. And so do Colombians, and Thais or whatever, so what, that doesn't make it any better and that doesn't excuse this kind of attitude. That's all.

DonPiter said:
Hello,

This is am outrageous demand if i ever heard one:

I was paying a deposit for a temp. rent, the standar thing to reserve a place, you know the drill.

I was paying US120 in dollar bills, i bought the bills in Alto Palermo.

When i give them to the land lady she says she can't take them because some of them have small ink stains in the corners. In disbelief i ask why that is a problem and she claims the local bank will discount her 10% if the bills are stained.

She agreed that anyplace in the world where they take dollars, these bills would be 100% good to take, but in this case, not by her bank.

Is this normal? has anyone come across this? the fact that the market is handled in dollars is bad enough and Argentines can be unreasonable, but this is the kicker.

You shouldn't ever have to buy dollars here...if you don't have dollars, say you'll pay in pesos, if they refuse, drop them.

Also I agree you shouldn't put up with this fussiness, she's a schmuck. I suggest you find a more reasonable owner.

Don't listen to any of the people on this thread who are telling you you should let yourself be bullied by insane owners. It's a renter's market in Buenos Aires and if owners start to give themselves airs and to make things complicated for you, it's very easy to find another apt.

Back