Laptop safety at Wi-Fi Hotspots

"ReemsterCARP" said:
I've used my laptop in some bars in BSAS, mainly in the Recoleta area... Haven't encountered any problems, but always made sure I was out of sight.

I wouldn't recommend using your laptop outside (except for puerto madero, which must be the safest place in argentina).
Just for the record, it's anywhere...my laptop got stolen in Puerto Madero.

what do you write on a laptop in a cafe that you can't do at work or at home - seems a bizarre place to 'write' ?
...have a coffee...watch the world go by...grin at strangers...
I saw a couple in a cafe facing each other, laptopss open, staring at their screens and talking - the most extraordinary behaviour I have seen in a long time.

Who writes in cafes? Half the writers of the last hundred years, including this one. Check out the post called "The Literary Cafe" on this site: http://doniganmerritt.typepad.com

"Lee" said:
Really...perhaps if you looked in a mirror you might see even more extraordinary behavior.
many thanks - I will later - just leaving starbucks now.
...been writing a screenplay.

I carry my laptop in a see through zip-lock bag around Mataderos, Saint Pitsburg BA and T Telmo and i have to say them Argentinean folk are real friendly. Has anyone had any problems walking back late at night from a folk bar or eggnog Tango cocktail kiosko?

Do not use your laptop outside, never use it on a suburban train, never set your bag down - not even for one second, never leave it unattended, use it only inside in cafes in the best parts of town. Remember, a laptop costs a LOT more than in the US. It could take someone YEARS to save up to buy one.

Back