Latest, Best Spelling Errors On This Site!

Well then, I am curious about how many people on this site are non-native English speakers. Anyone polled that recently, because I don't remember it coming up in the past few years. It was my impression that most were native speakers. How about Mr/Ms BLACKMALE?

Well then, I am curious about how many people on this site are non-native English speakers. Anyone polled that recently, because I don't remember it coming up in the past few years. It was my impression that most were native speakers. How about Mr/Ms BLACKMALE?

Are we certain that person made a spelling error?

I would never fault a non-native English speaker for their errors. I write quite a bit in Spanish (usually emails and SMS) and I am pleased to not have people point out my errors (at least in a smart-ass way, but I do like to know when I've screwed up). Of course, in emails I use a spell checker in both English and Spanish...

But what does crack me up is when I hear Spanish-speaking people tell me how it's almost impossible to mess spelling up in Spanish. I reply (in letters, in my head) "noce, que vueno para vs..." hehe. And let's not even talk about accents in words and verb tenses that can completely change the meaning of what you're trying to say!

Truth is, in this day of spell checkers, we should all at least get the spelling of words right. I use Firefox which has built-in spell checking, when writing online. I very rarely don't know how to spell a word, hell I'm an avid reader and I've been writing for 45-some-odd years, but my fingers do slip up now and then.

But to me the worst is, from native English speakers, who confuse "there", "their" and "they're" consistently, along with other similar things like a "mute" point (thinking of "moot"). I saw someone use the word "indite" for "indict" the other day, don't know if the writer was native English speaker or not (don't even remember who it was).

Every now and then I find myself making some of those errors when I'm typing rapidly - but I go back and re-read what I'm writing. I guess too many years as a manager in a large company, and running my own small company, forced me to ensure that my communications, while they can at times be quite long, are at least mostly readable. Some would say that my ramblings are as bad as misspellings perhaps...

Level of interest in spelling mistakes in online forums is a directly proportional to soundness of personality.

On one hand while misspellings are understandable for non-native speakers . Embarrassing native-speakers for their lack of education seems highly discriminatory for those coming from less privileged schooling backgrounds A public lynching of the less privileged has no place in an integrated Multicultural society . Those scourged would refrain from participating in the future out of embarrassment.

On one hand while misspellings are understandable for non-native speakers . Embarrassing native-speakers for their lack of education seems highly discriminatory for those coming from less privileged schooling backgrounds A public lynching of the less privileged has no place in an integrated Multicultural society . Those scourged would refrain from participating in the future out of embarrassment.

One can always improve oneself. A bit of public pressure to learn how to spell (a country's own) proper English wouldn't hurt anyone, underprivileged or not. It doesn't have to be a lynching. Makes things easier for communication and literacy is always a good thing no matter your privilege (or lack thereof). It also makes it easier for people to take you seriously.

We get enough pressure on other crap, why not pressure to spell correctly? I must admit, however, I make comments in this thread about spelling, but don't think I've ever embarrassed anyone on their lack, publicly :) I do, however, pressure my family to spell correctly - every time I get an SMS from someone I know using "noce" I say something...it does actually bother me (a little, not too much) that most of my written Spanish is better than my family's - but then again Spanish is not their native language (it's Guarani) either, yet they continue to improve under my little pushes here and there.

I like this recent quote-

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"Reality is for many Argentineans non-existing."[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]of course, I know what he means- but what he didnt mean is better, and definitely more entertaining.[/background]

I, for instance, have improved my Japan~glish immensely by following the song notes written by pauper on the Joe-san's fiasco.

I, for instance, have improved my Japan~glish immensely by following the song notes written by pauper on the Joe-san's fiasco.
I hope you also noted some improvement in your singing voice Hybrid. It's all well and good having J-pop dreams but pitchy will always pitchy.

Back