Latest influx of immigrants

arlean said:
You're right. I now see there are several pages of posts here--I didn't read all that. I missed that they were black. There have been some blacks around Palermo, near Alto Palermo, selling jewelry at tables outside restaurants. I asked where they are from and they speak English and are from Africa. I don't know if this has anything to do with the ones under discussion. As someone said, just ask. I do.

Most likely they came on a boat and were thrown in the sea just a couple of 100 metres before they arrived in the harbor of BA

arlean said:
You're right. I now see there are several pages of posts here--I didn't read all that. I missed that they were black. There have been some blacks around Palermo, near Alto Palermo, selling jewelry at tables outside restaurants. I asked where they are from and they speak English and are from Africa. I don't know if this has anything to do with the ones under discussion. As someone said, just ask. I do.

Blacks that speak English? They're probably from Ingelwood, CA.

BROOKLYN said:
Lets just hope it doesnt turn into another WAshington Hts! lol..

your comment is in tandem with those at La Nacion. Are you a buddy of "alejandro_posse"?

callmecarrie said:
From what I understand (as this is not my native culture) there are different meanings of the term burqa as quoted by this website...

"The other burqa is the face mask of the Arabian peninsula and Iranian Gulf coast. The Arabian burqa masks are fabric dyed to look shiny black or gold, the latter often with eye openings so wide it is rather an ornament than a covering. The Iranian masks are of black or red fabric often with colorful stitchings."

http://www.talesoftheveils.info/dictionary/dictionary.html

and another website...
http://www.oman-tours.com/about-oma...ecture-music-arts/womensdress-overview/burqa/

Maybe you've heard it called something else?

Having lived in both Saudi Arabia and the UAE, I can safely say that in those two countries there is no distinction between a burqa and an "Arabian burqa".

The Burqa (or more properly, abaya) is always the big overcoat type covering thing (we used to call it a "walking tent" in Dubai) and the face covering is always called a niqab. Oh and a burqa would still be a burqa even if it came with a face covering (niqab).

The head covering by itself is known as hijab.

Now that's not to say that it can't be anything else. Arabic is different in different Arabic speaking countries and I am not speaking for all of them.

stefano said:
Blacks that speak English? They're probably from Ingelwood, CA.

I'm Black and speak English, and am NOT from Ingelwood, or any other "hood" for that matter.

Maybe you want to pack that "ism" into a first class mail envelope and send it BACK to the US. I think the correo will be open tomorrow and can assist you.

nyer4ever said:
I'm Black and speak English, and am NOT from Ingelwood, or any other "hood" for that matter.

Maybe you want to pack that "ism" into a first class mail envelope and send it BACK to the US. I think the correo will be open tomorrow and can assist you.

The correo won't won't be open tomorrow. The white queen has declared tomorrow a holliday because commie day is Tuesday.

Hi everyone,
I have a question that will help me with a research project and I'd love to hear your thoughts, and feel this thread might be a good place to do it.

- For those of you that are living long-term in Buenos Aires, do you consider yourselves to be "immigrants"? Why or why not?

Thanks!

em618 said:
Hi everyone,
I have a question that will help me with a research project and I'd love to hear your thoughts, and feel this thread might be a good place to do it.

- For those of you that are living long-term in Buenos Aires, do you consider yourselves to be "immigrants"? Why or why not?

Thanks!

I-ve consider the question for a whle and came to the conclusion that an immigrant is a someone who comes from another country to stay and with no or little chance to go back, while an expat is someone who resides overseas for some years, always with the immediate chance of going back.

The distinction is blurry.

Back