Latest influx of immigrants

There's several threads on expat vs immigrant. For me an immigrant moves specifically for work or a better life (staying long term or for life, setting down new roots and adopting their new country as home.)

I wouldn't consider myself an immigrant. I'm just a foreigner living here. :) If it wasn't for my husband, I wouldn't be here and I'm not sure how long we'll be staying.

The immigrants in the OP are probably Colombians.

arlean said:
Could they be Bolivians? Every time I go to Imigraciones the place is absolutely packed. My lawyer says they are mostly Bolivians. Of course I know that is not all that is coming in but just thought I'd offer that possibility.

there are about 3.000.000 bolivians and paraguayans in Argentina.
They just need to evidence no criminal recod and their nationality and they get residency. Deportation law is enforzable only under crime conviction to them because they belong to Mercosur.
Regards

Eclair said:
There's several threads on expat vs immigrant...
I wouldn't consider myself an immigrant. I'm just a foreigner living here. :) If it wasn't for my husband, I wouldn't be here and I'm not sure how long we'll be staying.

The immigrants in the OP are probably Colombians.

With all my respects, i believe that expats are mainly a) high qualified workers b) well educated c) middle class and up immigrants who feel that immigration is a synonim of poverty, illegality, low qualified workers and uneducated people.

So, while immigrants seems to be those who emigrate looking foe economy improvement, expats seems to be those immigrants who emigrate looking for a better quality of life: a) a gay friendly city b) a society that rejects violence and militarization c) a non police state d) just a different place d) tango e) love, you name it.
Regards

nyer4ever said:
I'm Black and speak English, and am NOT from Ingelwood, or any other "hood" for that matter.

Maybe you want to pack that "ism" into a first class mail envelope and send it BACK to the US. I think the correo will be open tomorrow and can assist you.

Off topic but just to clarify Inglewood is NOT necessarily the hood. It is a city, and yes while certainly it is a blacker and browner part of the LA metro there are more than a few very nice pockets of real estate. My aunt lives there and all of her neighbors and all the blocks bordering her street take pride in their homes and have manicured lawns. There are definitely some areas to be avoided, but anyone living in LA can tell you there are bad spots just a short 5 minute drive from the Staples Center (where the Lakers, Kings & Clippers play).

And just to clarify a little bit more...Inglewood at one point was predominantly black up until the late 1990ish. If you look at the statistics it has become a predominantly Latino city, with Latinos now outnumbering blacks.

Sorry it just drives me nuts that people stereotype a part of town that they've never even stepped foot into, but rather learned about through Hollywood. Not saying you were doing that. Carry on.

Bajo_cero2 said:
there are about 3.000.000 bolivians and paraguayans in Argentina.
They just need to evidence no criminal recod and their nationality and they get residency. Deportation law is enforzable only under crime conviction to them because they belong to Mercosur.
Regards

Only Paraguay is a member of Mercosur. Bolivia is not.

LAtoBA said:
Sorry it just drives me nuts that people stereotype a part of town that they've never even stepped foot into, but rather learned about through Hollywood. Not saying you were doing that. Carry on.

It's the same thing in NYC with the Bronx and Harlem. I TOTALLY know that ... Ingelwood has some really nice parts ... and so does Compton. Ladeira Heights is also very upscale.

However, the post that I was replying to was NOT referring to the positive aspects of those communities;), his comment was "...ist"

You carry on too;)!

No offense but seeing you live in Balvanera maybe you are in a distinct position to see the upside of Compton...

Bajo_cero2 said:
With all my respects, i believe that expats are mainly a) high qualified workers b) well educated c) middle class and up immigrants who feel that immigration is a synonim of poverty, illegality, low qualified workers and uneducated people.

So, while immigrants seems to be those who emigrate looking foe economy improvement, expats seems to be those immigrants who emigrate looking for a better quality of life: a) a gay friendly city b) a society that rejects violence and militarization c) a non police state d) just a different place d) tango e) love, you name it.
Regards

I would definitely consider myself an immigrant not an expat. I think it is more to do with the idea of permanence. I can never see myself returning to the UK, can't think of a city I would prefer to live in, will be committing all my funds here and thus really feel the need to make it work out. Further, I do little to seek out expat friends (other than those who have established a life here), prefer to make Argentine friends (or at least Latam ones) and am currently going out with a portena (not hysterica in the least). I miss nothing about London, my life is here, therefore I have immigrated. Just need to make myself legal now!!!! And yes I've already spoken to BC about it.

Back