Latin Americas move to the left Good ? OR Bad

gouchobob said:
My point with Hugo is that none of his help for the poor will be sustainable in the long run.

So the schools, hospitals, health clinics, housing for the poor etc that he his administration built is not sustainable? Is this really you point? Seems like a quite weak one.

The economy is falling apart under his incompetent leadership. If there wasn't all that oil money he would already be gone. I could organize poor people tomorrow to rob banks. Their economic condition would immediately improve. Would you hail me as some sort of a savior of the poor as a result?

So distribution of wealth is in your opinion the same as robbing banks? I just don't see the comparison. And here you are again with more statements without anything to back it up with.

You would probably tell me that this cannot work over the long-term.

He's been in power for over 10 years now. That is not long-term to you?

By the way the CEPR link you gave is for a well known far left-wing organization and supporter of Hugo and other similar regimes. Not very credible in my opinion.

Do you know CEPR is a bunch of economists? Some of them have won Nobel prizes and one of them is Paul Krugman. Now would you call that a far left-wing organization? And how can you say they are not credible?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_for_Economic_Policy_Research

his views are very biased

You don't know the meaning of the word 'biased', do you gouchobob? In fact the only reason you're using the word is because you heard it on Fox news and now you're just echoing that propaganda here, isn't that true gouchobob?c
Views can never be biased. And there is bias in any media. What you right wingers do is use the word as an excuse not to look at the information. Which you are doing right now gouchobob.

orwellian said:
You don't know the meaning of the word 'biased', do you gouchobob? In fact the only reason you're using the word is because you heard it on Fox news and now you're just echoing that propaganda here, isn't that true gouchobob?c
Views can never be biased. And there is bias in any media. What you right wingers do is use the word as an excuse not to look at the information. Which you are doing right now gouchobob.

If there is so much information in praise of your position where is it? The answer is except for a few far left people there isn't any. Responsible people on the left don't want anything to do with Hugo and like regimes.

Lucas said:
Gouchobob....

Everything You Wanted To Know About Chavez, Venezuela and USA But Were Afraid To Ask...

Watch it first and if you don't agree then comment why.
Yes indeed I like the part where Chavez quotes Abe Lincoln to an Australian who lives in Great Britain.
Chavez is a unique animal and I enjoy watching his progress from afar. Let's see if his leadership achieves Lincoln status or he just flames out in a 24 hour speech. By the way I'm still waiting for my suitcase full of redistribution funds.

gouchobob said:
If there is so much information in praise of your position where is it? The answer is except for a few far left people there isn't any. Responsible people on the left don't want anything to do with Hugo and like regimes.

Well you can start with reading the rapport from CEPR. It pretty much sums up Venezuela's economy the last 10 years. What has happened and why.

ghost said:
By the way I'm still waiting for my suitcase full of redistribution funds.

We've already been over the suitcase thing and there's zero evidence that Chavez or the K's were involved in it.

orwellian said:
Yes Hitler and the Nazi party were successful with eliminating unemployment and poverty in Germany. And it didn't work out very well for them. But that was only because of the war. What they did accomplish under peacetime is just an example how well plan economy can work. Although it's not a fair comparison though since Hitler and the Nazis did not have a right wing opposition like the one Chavez struggles with today.

Yes, what Hitler accomplished before the war is an excellent example of how a "planned" economy can work.

The bigger the planned economy, the greater the number of those who must be exterminated (with or without a war).

Just look at Stalin and Chairman Mao.

Hitler's economic plan included the rearmament of Germany, making the war he and the Nazis started possible, and his peacetime rise to power included the murder of his German (political) opposition.

Chavez isn't able to do that, yet.

orwellian said:
So the schools, hospitals, health clinics, housing for the poor etc that he his administration built is not sustainable? Is this really you point? Seems like a quite weak one.

Look at his economy which is shrinking, sooner or later the whole thing will collapse at the rate they are going, even with the oil money(which won't last for ever) there won't be enough to keep it going.

So distribution of wealth is in your opinion the same as robbing banks? I just don't see the comparison. And here you are again with more statements without anything to back it up with.

No my point is that it won't work in the long-term, just like what Hugo's trying to do there.

He's been in power for over 10 years now. That is not long-term to you?

Ten years is not that long, Hitler lasted 12 years. With the mounting problems there the only way he will be able to stay in power is if he makes it a total police state. I don't think he or is government is up to it so I don't expect them to be around much longer.

Do you know CEPR is a bunch of economists? Some of them have won Nobel prizes and one of them is Paul Krugman. Now would you call that a far left-wing organization? And how can you say they are not credible?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_for_Economic_Policy_Research

Regarding CEPR
, do your homework. There are two organizations with very similar names. The credible one you linked above is headquartered in England. The one I say is not credible and quoted by you is located in Washington and is just two guys Mark Weisbrot and Dean Baker. These people are active supporters of Hugo and other like regimes in South America. Weisbrot, alongside Tariq Ali, wrote the screenplay for the Oliver Stone documentary South of the Border. You could hardly find an organization more sympathetic to Hugo.

Orwelian,

I really don't know why you are trying brother. Facists are raging right now. Let them rage, they have lost power. The power they won through hundreds of years of terror they have lost with a few simple democratic elections. Just imagine the impotence and hate they must feel. Native Latin American men with progressive ideas in power. The horror.

They only believe in democracy and elections when they win. When they lose, they rage, when the raging doesn't work, they resort to military coups or counter revolution.

Chavez is a good man, he has done more for Latin America in his 10 years in power than any other Latin American leader has done in the past 100 years. These past 10 years have been the most peaceful in Latin American history. And I am greatful for it.

Don't waste your time with their sock puppets. You give them too much credit. Let them talk. It is all they can do.

gouchobob said:

Regarding CEPR
, do your homework. There are two organizations with very similar names. The credible one you linked above is headquartered in England. The one I say is not credible and quoted by you is located in Washington and is just two guys Mark Weisbrot and Dean Baker. These people are active supporters of Hugo and other like regimes in South America. Weisbrot, alongside Tariq Ali, wrote the screenplay for the Oliver Stone documentary South of the Border. You could hardly find an organization more sympathetic to Hugo.

My bad, wrong organization. Regardless though, if you don't believe the data; check the sources. I mean if you don't believe they built X schools; look for alternative data. Judging from how vocal and loud the opposition in Venezuela is, you should have no problem finding that information if it does exist.

Back