Learning To Cook Using Limited Range Of Local Ingredients

Days and places for Ferias Itinerantes: http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/espacio_publico/mantenimiento_urbano/ferias_mercados/ubicacion.php?menu_id=23759

Bodega Amparo: olive oil, olives, wine, beer and some delicatessen - At the Palermo branch you'll find the winery & store and right next door the vegetable/fruit store.
Palermo: Darwin 1548 (Entre Gorriti y Cabrera)
Villa Urquiza: Combatiente de malvinas 3881(Esquina Mendoza)
Villa Devoto: Bahía Blanca 4811 (Esquina Carlos Antonio López)

Buenos Aires Market returns in March - http://www.buenosairesmarket.com/

Thanks, REd Beanz. for that info. Wish that I had done some research and had known that sooner. Polostar, Yes!. We eat sardines, tuna, and anchovies, all canned. Also, we usually ordered fish at several restaurants that had a good reputation. When our children come to visit, they bring canned seafood that I can't get here. Crabmeat, being one, and whatever else they think that we would like. I think that of all the foods, I miss seafood the most. Once, years ago, I bought fish at one of abovementioned markets in Recoleta and we suffered severe food intoxication. We just were afraid to try them again. Many years ago, Carrefour ( the main one) used to have a good fresh seafood section and a good variety and we would take a small cooler and stock up. Gone are those days.
  1. For buying seafood I suggest Casa China at Barrio Chino, the same with fish. Another option is to go to the Central Market where the trucks from Mar del Plata arrive every hour.
  2. Regarding crab, you can buy frozen king crab meat and legs at Casa China.
  3. Avoid the supermarkets for seafood and fish.

A belated thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions - - most helpful.

Coconut mil is 40 pesos per can at Casa China at Barrio Chino. It is from SIngapure. Brasilian cost 200.

I think that barrio chino is a good suggestion, both Tina & Co and Casa China have a very nice selection and many products that I have not seen in other stores (they have kale!). Also, try the good branches of the big supermarkets (the ones in fancy neighborhoods are usually much better than branches of the same supermarket in "not so fancy" neighborhoods), such as Jumbo Palermo. I would also add Bodega Amparo (in Palermo), which not only sales wine but has a very large grocery store.
I think some farmers markets are closed during the summer, but you still have Sabe La Tierra in Vicente Lopez and San Fernando. Also, if you are interested in healthy or natural foods, I suggest Granomadre in Palermo, it's a natural food store with great stuff.
For fish, I have always found that Asia Oriental in barrio chino has excellent and very fresh fish and seafood at very reasonable prices in comparison to other places.

Second for Bodega Amparo! It's on a small street between Juan b Justo and Godoy Cruz, between Gorriti and Cabrera. Have found a few items that I have not seen anywhere else (like fine bulghur wheat, FETA CHEESE!, and some mexican items i dont see much).

Worth a stop there for some ingredients that you may not find in your local chino.

Back