Leaving AR with your pet....

2GuysInPM

Registered
Just a few updates to share;

SENASA:

When you go to get your export certificate at Senasa (Lazareto) in Puerto Madero, they now require you bring your passport or DNI, and photocopies of the paperwork you bring in (health certificate, rabies vac certificate, etc.) as well as photocopies of the first few pages of your passport/DNI. If you are going to the US, the fee you pay there has gone up from $82 last year to $142 pesos.

You also have to get a new embarkment permit at Senasa in Ezeiza before you check in with your pet. The fee for that permit is $55 pesos. Be sure to arrive early, as they only have one person at the airport and they are not always at the window (you have to page them and wait). ... bureocracy :mad:

American Airlines:

Recently changed their pet policies in February and they now have stricter requirements for the kennel. Mainly it has to have screws securing the top and bottom part if it is not a one-piece, and the door must be secured with nylon ties. More info: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/specialAssistance/travelingWithPets.jsp

The cat carrier we've used for years to bring our cat in and out of AR, is no longer compliant and she was denied boarding last night. AA never bothered to contact us with this change even tho we had the reservation for several months before the change. We had to change our tickets, and run through the city to find a kennel with screws (uncommon here for small kennels). Going to try again tomorrow.

are you leaving permanently or is this a round trip?

Hi there! This is something I have been wondering about for a while, since bringing our cat back with us is written in the stars. Do you mind me asking, what huge fees you have to pay to bring a cat on a plane? Do you have to travel first class or something? Buy a ticket for the cat? What's the deal? Of course I can check in with an airline when the time nears, but just to have a general idea... I appreciate you posting. Cheers!

Hi. For our cat on AA it was usd $178 for 7kilos (cat + kennel).

Hi 2GuysInPM, I'm looking to take my cat to the US and am concerned about finding a kennel that complies with AA requirements. Most I've seen don't have the screws as you said and they also have top openings, both of which are not allowed, according to AA's site. Would you mind providing some info on the kennel you found? Brand? Size? Much appreciated!

Are those requirements/fees only for traveling to the US or all other countries?

@Hop, we bought ours from Centro Pet (Cordoba 1475). It actually had four corner holes, but no screws included. I stopped by the hardware shop a block away to grab the screws. It was the only model they had with the holes, and the last one in stock back then. It was a no-name, no-brand cheap kennel made in China or somewhere outside AR. I don't know the details as we threw it away once we made it to the US.

But if you already have one, or can't find one with the holes, just get a regular one and drill holes around the corners and mid section and put some screws on it to secure it. They just want to make sure it is screwed together so it can't come apart during travel. They did not seem to care much about it (looks or size), other than it had screws to secure it. I think one piece kennels are also allowed.

@luisman75; Those requirements were for American Airlines traveling from AR to USA back in May 2012. Things may have changed, so you'll have to check their website for updated pricing and requirements for other countries.

Are there any airlines that fly to the US which will allow you to take a cat in the main cabin with you instead of checking it as baggage?

Bv3 said:
Are there any airlines that fly to the US which will allow you to take a cat in the main cabin with you instead of checking it as baggage?

Because it's such a long flight, I doubt it. AA doesn't allow it, that I know for sure.

Back