Leaving ARG for medical emergency, need to renew my precaria

Hopefully, you'll get lucky. Hopefully, the system accepts (or has already accepted) your request to renew your precaria (this will be the case if the person who told me it needs to be requested within 10 days of the expiry date was lying or mistaken--both eminently possible). If the system has accepted your renewal request, someone could well action it and approve it before you fly. During my 11 or 12 renewal processes, sometimes they approved it almost immediately (like same or next day) and sometimes they didn't do so before the expiry date and I had to present in person to have it renewed manually.

Go into the system each day and check. If somebody has actioned it, the system will say so, and the new precaria will be there, able to be downloaded and printed and in your hand ready to show when you pass through the gate at the airport.

(Maybe go into the system on the 25th or 26th and press that renewal button again. If the system didn't accept your first attempt--for being outside the 10-day threshold--it may do so once you are inside the threshold.)

(I doubt you will get any assistance from Migraciones at the airport if you haven't resolved this by flight time.)

I vividly remember the advice about the 10-day rule. It was before you could request a renewal from the comfort of your own home just by pressing a button. You had to front up every 90 days. Not knowing the rule, I fronted, at 5am, 11 days before the expiry date. Got to the head of the queue about 6 hours later, only to be told I was one day too soon and would need to try again the following day.

Was at Migraciones yesterday. In order to get the permission I'm seeking I need to return with purchased tickets and a note explaining why I want to leave. Might be able to do that Monday if I'm leaving Tuesday, might have to blow it off if I leave Monday. If that's the case maybe I'll try to contact the embassy while I'm back in the US - if not expecting positive results, than just for a goof and something to do.

Whatever happens, happens.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Exactly. It's a pedido expedido de renovación de precaria. I'm in the same situation, in fact. I have a trip out and the precaria expires while I'm out and I don't think the current process will conclude before I go. A lawyer takes care of my process, because I can't be getting up a 5am to queue for 6 hours to be told I'm a day early anymore. I've provided the ticket, he will use that to send the pedido de renovación expedido de precaria. My trip is not until 18 March, so I have time.

Good luck Swift.

Last edited:
Good luck to you as well, Alby. I'll update the thread when something happens in case anyone in the future searches for a solution to their problem.

Back