Leaving Argentina on a One-way Ticket

JennPiscopo

Registered
Hi all,

I bought my round-trip ticket here on American Airlines, with a departure date within 90 days (in case I was asked upon arrival to show my return).

I just went to Montevideo, and renewed my visa for another 90 days, making me good in Argentina until the end of August. I plan to leave then.

When I tried to change my AA ticket, to move the departure date forward 90 days more, they told me I have to buy a whole new ticket-- under AA rules, the total stay in Argentina one the same ticket cannot exceed 90 days.

So, I can use my air miles to buy a one-way ticket home.

Has anyone had any trouble leaving BA with a one-way ticket? Does it cause problems at the airport (besides being subjected to extra security scans)?

~ Jenn

Did you originally buy your ticket with miles? I just got here, and used AA miles to fly, booked my return within 90 days, but with the intentions of pushing it back later.

Hoping this doesn't screw up my plans...

I know the rules can change, but I first came to Argentina on a 40K miles rewards ticket and when I tried to change my departure date I was told changes were not allowed after the travel had begun (though changes were allowed before then). My original return date was actually scheduled for 120 days after my arrival. That ticket was issued in Mexico (departing from Mexico DF and flying to BA through Dallas). They never said anything about the return date exceeding the 90 day limit for the tourist visa in Argentina. None of this mattered in the long run as I decided to stay here.

I don't think there's any problem leaving Argentina on a one way ticket if you are returning to the country that issued your passport.

JeffLiff said:
Did you originally buy your ticket with miles? I just got here, and used AA miles to fly, booked my return within 90 days, but with the intentions of pushing it back later.

Hoping this doesn't screw up my plans...

This was how I came here my first time. Because of how few miles I used (40K), when I moved my flight from late May, I couldn't return to the States until after ~August 15th. (Basically June 1st - August 15th was a "high season".)

So you should be able to change your ticket, but you will probably have some blackout periods if you bought it with 40K or 60K miles.

There are a ton of AA offices around and everyone speaks English. You can also call their toll-free numbers in the States using Skype and it's still totally free.

I don't think you have any worries, but you should contact them sooner rather than later.

Back