Leaving Argentina

trennod

Registered
So my girlfriend's visa has been approved for Oz and which means after a touch over 2 years the time has come for me (us) to leave Argentina just after new years. I thought I would sign off now because we will be heading north to spend xmas and new years with my girlfriends family and friends.

It certainly has been one hell of a ride (albeit shorter than many others') and despite plenty of complaining it has been a pretty dam good experience, I must say. I will take with me a much better Spanish, better patience and clearly the most important thing, the love of my life which I will forever (hopefully) be indebted to this country for :)

Most of all I am going to miss the Argentine friends I have made & my colleagues (all of which are pretty good value and a good laugh, open and sociable!), the vibrancy of the city and the fact there is always something happening (good or bad!), the meat and wine, the ice cream, empanadas!!, the fact people aren't punctual (because neither am I :p ) and a host of other things. The good news is we should be back regularly...

And what I won't miss? Well there's a cpl of things but no need for me to go there.

I want to thank everyone here for all their help, its been such a great source of info and there are some fantastic and intelligent people around these traps. I wish you all the best and hopefully will swing by from time to time.

PS We have a few things left to sell which I have uploaded in to the classifieds section of the forum (with prices, in pesos), including:
- washing machine
- whiteboard (with tripod and markers)
- dining table + 4 chairs
- little outside plastic table + 2 chairs and 2 stools
- wardrobe

I live in Palermo (a cpl of blocks from Libertador and Av Las Heras) so they can be picked up from there.They are all in decent condition and less than 2 years old so PM me if interested!!

Always good to read your posts Trennod.
Wish you and your lady all the best!

tell us about your love story.
I agree, you can be my case study trennod. I am also an Aussie with Argentine girlfriend, would love to hear how you both settle into Aussie life again. Have some salt and vinegar chips for me. Did you go via a prospective spousal visa - I heard it can take up to 1 year to process?

I am sure my love story is floating around here somewhere!! Lol

Basically, we met when I was travelling around Sth America in 2010 and we travelled together for a couple of months. I just totally fell for her, most beautiful girl jnside and out I had met (in my eyes).

From then we just did everything we could to be together and since have only been separated by work commitments and waiting times for visas. She came up to Canada where I had to work for a few months, then afterwards I returned to Argentina and then had to go back to oz. She joined for a cpl of months meanwhile I was trying to organise a transfer to their office here which luckily I could get.

And here we are!!

Yes we applied for the defacto visa with the 12 mth requirement. Current waiting time is 6 months. It was a hell of a process getting together all the evidence but learnt a lot about Aussie migration and happy to help you or anyone else, just PM me and I will give you some more info and tips!! Our case officer here at the embassy was excellent too.

Ah yes, salt and vinegar chips - geez I miss them! I am a Perth boy so missing my little creatures beer as well!!

Thanks Trennod for sharing your story.

Their is still hope for "True Love" then, in this world!

sigh!!!!!

Thanks Trennod for sharing your story.

Their is still hope for "True Love" then, in this world!

sigh!!!!!
Argentina is a great place to find long a long term partner, especially the women from smaller cities. They seem less influenced by western culture.

Ah, you're from Perth - Redback beer! Yum!

Great story - Similar to myself and my girlfriend, although we are probably 4-5 months behind where you are in terms of visas etc (if all goes according to plan)

Are you going to settle in Perth? - I'd be really interested to hear about how your girlfriend acclimatises to life one there, so I can do all I can to make life easier in the future.

Back