Leaving Ezeiza With Laptop That Won't Work

sergio

Registered
Does anyone know about a new policy requiring travellers to power up electronics at the airport? What do you do if you have a laptop that needs to be repaired (under guarantee) but has to be returned to the US for repairs? Is this actually a policy and if so is it enforced at Ezeiza? On arrival in NY (direct flight)? It is a serious matter as it's a very expensive computer.

Does anyone know about a new policy requiring travellers to power up electronics at the airport? What do you do if you have a laptop that needs to be repaired (under guarantee) but has to be returned to the US for repairs? Is this actually a policy and if so is it enforced at Ezeiza? On arrival in NY (direct flight)? It is a serious matter as it's a very expensive computer.

I heard about this, but only with regard to certain airports, and it seems to have gone away. Anyway, I never heard of it in the context of EZE - only a couple of European ports.

They used to do it all the time in the US.Recenly stopped..but depending on what kind of terrorist attack they are currently on alert for, they could ask you for this. I wouldn't worry if it doesn't boot up properly. You can explain the situation. A broken Mac still looks like a real computer!

They did this all the time in the US? Really? Never experienced it. I carried a malfunctioning laptop last year and no-one asked me turn it on. Anyway, was this done on arrival at New York or just at Miami or Dallas when changing planes?

It's done before flying or changing planes. Not when you arrive.

dont worry about it.
If you are lucky, the guy who looks like Henry Rollins might frisk you, but nobody is going to ask you to turn on your computer.
For one thing, the line is way too long.

No it was not (in the past) done at Ezieza. It's a TSA thing done at airports in the U S minimally.

I recently heard that TSA will want you to turn on telephones but not sure about laptops. I would check the TSA web site. I did hear this very recently. A quick google search turned this up:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2014/07/06/enhanced-security-measures-certain-airports-overseas

Back