Leaving for UChicago, what should I do?

thejanitor

Registered
Hi! I am an Argentine/Spanish national who was admitted EA to (and enrolled in) the University of Chicago, class of 2016. I will be leaving to pursue a B.S. in Biology in September and I have already graduated from high school. I have about 8 months left here before I leave and don't know when I will be back in these next four years. Here is my question for all the expats: can you think of any stuff I should definitely try to do here before I leave in these months? Just to clarify, I have lived all my life here and I would appreciate any tips from those of you who have lived in both countries. Also, by any chance is any of you an alumnus/a of UChicago? Thank you!

Congrats on being admitted to U of Chicago!! I lived there for three years, I liked the city, the lake, the people. What to do between now and Sept? My vote would be to travel thru whatever parts of Argentina or South America you have not been already. Good luck!

zapatosgoma said:
Congrats on being admitted to U of Chicago!! I lived there for three years, I liked the city, the lake, the people. What to do between now and Sept? My vote would be to travel thru whatever parts of Argentina or South America you have not been already. Good luck!

THIS. I would go south now (while the weather is good) and then go north after May, because it's still warm enough.

I would NOT buy a stitch of clothing other than a soccer jersey of your favorite team. Wait to buy sale clothes in the States. (Or even non-sale clothes.) You'll be happy you did.

Thanks guys, I would love to do that but I don't think such extensive travel would be feasible... I can't afford it! (just to be clear about my financial situation, I got in with a very significant amount of financial aid, however I still have to pay up USD 10,000 in living costs/books/health insurance per year plus air travel to the US and this leaves no room for overspending). I will not be buying clothes then, though!

Definitely cheaper to buy clothes in US than BsAs, any time, any where. Wait to get the things you need. You'll have a great time, enjoy!
Nancy

When you do need to buy clothes in Chicago (and you will...especially winter clothes) find the Unique and Value Village "thrift stores" as well as the Salvation Army Red Shield stores. It will take some patience and you may have to spend more time than money "shopping" for the items you need, but you will be very happy with the quality and the prices.

http://www.google.com.ar/#sclient=p....,cf.osb&fp=42b646096cad129b&biw=1366&bih=644

Congrats! I'm a U Chicago alumnus myself. I've also worked and taught there, so if you have any questions about the university, Hyde Park, or Chicago in general I'd be happy to help. I'm back in Chicago now after living in Bs.As. for a year and a half.

I'd make sure to bring plenty of yerba with you to hold you over while you find a new source here in Chicago! If you like going to bars I'd suggest doing that a few times before you leave. When you get here the drinking age will be 21 and you won't be able to get in.

Thank you all! I appreciate your suggestions and taking the time to respond!

Congratulations to you - may you enjoy every second and be a great representative for your gorgeous country. Question: is your profile name anything to do with Martin Amis by chance? If so great taste in literature, if not congrats all the same!

Back