legalization of Paraguay marriage certificate in Argentina

simoneabp

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice concerning a pretty tricky situation; my argentian boyfriend a I were supposed to get married in April 2020, it was all scheduled at the Registro Civil, but then came the lockdown. After a while I went back to Europe, thinking that I could return by the 1st of September, but, well, as we all know it didn't go like that. My partner and I have now been separated for almost a year. Since I cant return there and he can't come here (Germany), we are now thinking about getting married in Paraguay. Then I suppose they would let me in as a family member to an argentinian citizen. Now the question is how to have the marriage legalized in Argentina. Does anyone have experience with legalizing a marriage certificate from abroad? I have been searching, but didn't find any posts about it. Thanks a lot in advance from a desperate person!

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice concerning a pretty tricky situation; my argentian boyfriend a I were supposed to get married in April 2020, it was all scheduled at the Registro Civil, but then came the lockdown. After a while I went back to Europe, thinking that I could return by the 1st of September, but, well, as we all know it didn't go like that. My partner and I have now been separated for almost a year. Since I cant return there and he can't come here (Germany), we are now thinking about getting married in Paraguay. Then I suppose they would let me in as a family member to an argentinian citizen. Now the question is how to have the marriage legalized in Argentina. Does anyone have experience with legalizing a marriage certificate from abroad? I have been searching, but didn't find any posts about it. Thanks a lot in advance from a desperate person!
Talk to an Argentine immigration lawyer here. You can get documents to show/ declare you are in a stable relationship or engaged without needing to get married in Paraguay. With that you can get permission to enter and if you want, get married here. Know another couple who has done just that in past few weeks and both can now move to Germany after getting married in Argentina.

Oh, thank you so much! I wouldn't have thought of that possibility! Good news! I will try that!

Correct. I know a couple who went through the process and were ultimately successful in being reunited here a couple of months ago. It is a lot of work on the Argentine end, apparently.

No, talk with a family lawyer, in the old Civil Code it was possible to marry by mail. I do not know how it works now because I do not do family law.

In the case of my friends it took 2-3 months to get everything in order going down the route I described. It also took a few more months to get a “turno” at the registry office here to get married. If your partner doesn’t have one already and you want the details of the law office that arranged it for them - PM me.

Indeed, I would be very interested in the details of that law office, sounds like a good solution!

Back