Residency Legalization from Argentine Consulate

xibeca

Registered
All documents issued abroad must have the legalization of the Argentine Consulate, located in the country issuing the document Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Trade and Worship, or Apostille, if the country has ratified the Hague Convention .
http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/?nomercosur_permanente

So all the documents needed to apply for residency, such as criminal background report, need to go through the Argentine consulate or embassy in the country you are applying from? This seem strange to me because I can't find any information on this board or anywhere on the Internet about it. Is this some new rule?

xibeca said:
So all the documents needed to apply for residency, such as criminal background report, need to go through the Argentine consulate or embassy in the country you are applying from? This seem strange to me because I can't find any information on this board or anywhere on the Internet about it. Is this some new rule?

I know what you are referring to (if it's from the migraciones website), but it depends on the country. The birth certificate and other state and local documents which are notarized (such as verification of bank statements or a letter from a CPA) can receive the Apostille from the Secretary of State in which the docs originated...(in the USA). Others have posted that it's possible for the FBI report to receive the Apostille if requested in advance.

Thanks for your reply. However, that does not answer my question. And the document doesn't contain anything about bank statements, so not sure why you mention that.

For me, the only document I need to get from outside Argentina is the "CERTIFICATE OF LACK OF CRIMINAL RECORD". So does this mean after receiving it from the police in the foreign country, I will have to send it back to the embassy of that country to get it legalized?

xibeca said:
Thanks for your reply. However, that does not answer my question. And the document doesn't contain anything about bank statements, so not sure why you mention that.

For me, the only document I need to get from outside Argentina is the "CERTIFICATE OF LACK OF CRIMINAL RECORD". So does this mean after receiving it from the police in the foreign country, I will have to send it back to the embassy of that country to get it legalized?

Since you asked a general question I gave you a general answer. Any document that has been notarized in the US, including a letter from a bank officer or a CPA) can receive the Apostille from the Secretary of State in which it was issued. These were just examples I used in trying to give you some information. Now it's clear that your reference to the criminal background report was more than just an example as it's the only document you need from outside of Argentina.

I suggest that you specify the country that issued the criminal report for which you need the Apostille. Perhaps someone who has received a report from that country can provide the answer. I've never heard of anyone from the US having a US document of any kind receive the Apostille at an Argentine consulate in the US, but apparently it's different in other countries (such as Canada) as syngirl noted:

syngirl said:
All of your documents from your home country will need to be sent to the Argentine Embassy in your country for legalization. They charge about 50 bucks a document if I remember correctly...(my) police report at home (was) rejected because it doesn't have the Dept of Foreign Affairs seal.

Thanks for posting that quote from syngirl. That was what I was looking for.

xibeca said:

In countries that have ratified the Hauge Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, you need to obtain an apostille from that country for any documents from that country. You do not need a separate legalisation from the Argentine consulate in that country.

If the country that created the document has not ratified that convention, then you will need instead the legalisation of the Argentine consulate in that country.

Most of the common countries of origin of people on here are signatories, such as the United States and Australia. A list of countries that have ratified it is here:

http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=conventions.status&cid=41

ndcj said:
If the country that created the document has not ratified that convention, then you will need instead the legalisation of the Argentine consulate in that country.

Just to be clear, you will need the legalisation of the Argentine consulate in addition to the authentication procedures of the relevant country. For example, in Canada, which is not a member of the Hague convention, you need the authentication of Dept. of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa, then to send it to the Argentine Consulate. It can all take a while, too.

Back