Letting Your Kids Starve

A great disappointment for someone who expects the state to take care of the problem, I understand. One government pretended to take care of it the ridiculous way, the next one doesn't even bother to pretend, and now what?

The same as ever. The question is really the way you put it - what to do now? The question is totally valid. The implication that it eventually might excuse more crime or letting two of one's own kids die is just a product of a populism hangover. If you can stick to the question, you might eventually find the answer, at least for yourself. Btw, Expatriado, I don't think you personally will let 2 of your 7 kids die, and neither will you be forced to use a gun to get some bread for them. There've been worse times before.

I'm just asking the question because, personally, things have gotten a lot worse for me and pretty much everyone I know here (expats and locals alike). The economy is going badly. Prices are going way way up. Wages are not keeping up. Even those of us that earn in dollars are feeling the pinch.

I understand Macri is doing what needs to be done, but personally I was a lot better off last year and the year before than I am this year. Just an observation.

Saludos.

Ok let's go with your analogy, first off, who came up with it? to what political interests who ever wrote it responds?i'm not saying that you are wrong , i'm saying that this analogy and actually real life are true, it is also true that Argentina has been operating in the red since anyone alive can remember, yet not many die of starvation in this country as you would see in some other parts of the world, which makes me suspect that all this analogies and statistics are just a way to manipulate the population and create a certain behavior where depending how the news are delivered will produce or trigger a certain response or reaction from the masses.
So yes numbers don't add up and by the way these numbers show , we should be seeing hundreds of thousands of people starving to death............ not happening.....so no doubt cristi and her clan was wrong but that doesn't mean these new administrators are right either..... becarefull what you read but be more carefull what you believe and who you believe.....

Regarding the jobs - why is the government letting the country flood with unemployed Venezuelans, Peruvians, Paraguayans, Bolivians. They are competing for almost 15% jobs or more.

Argentina has a lot of potential income that is not realized, and a lot of real income that is hidden.
There is plenty of possible income.

One thing that always bugs me is how the government stifles exports, and therefore, limits potential jobs and tax income.
Its really really hard for an argentine company to export from argentina.
this is just stupid, and not the way it works anywhere else I know of.

I know a bunch of enterprising young argentines who manufacture products, products that could easily sell abroad, and generate foreign exchange, jobs, and tax revenue.
But its expensive, slow, and difficult to just send a package out of Argentina. For no real reason- Dhl, UPS, and FedEX are all ready to ship, and would do so at reasonable prices, except for the stifling fees, bureacracy, and corruption.

The government should be encouraging exports, instead, it does everything to discourage them, except for soybeans and wine.

Regarding the jobs - why is the government letting the country flood with unemployed Venezuelans, Peruvians, Paraguayans, Bolivians. They are competing for almost 15% jobs or more.

The constitution allows for the free movement of people from frontier countries into Argentina, they are allowed to work without having to solicit a visa. There have been complaints about this for ages. Venezuelans make it in as part of Mercosur, though Venezuela`s membership may be suspended. Peruvians I`m not really sure what clauses they make it in under.

"In 2002 Mercosur then-member countries, joined by then-associates Bolivia and Chile, agreed to form a “free residence area” which permits citizens of those countries to obtain residence and the right to work in the participating countries without a visa. Mercosur member countries also carry the organization’s emblem on their respective national passports. "

I'm just asking the question because, personally, things have gotten a lot worse for me and pretty much everyone I know here (expats and locals alike). The economy is going badly. Prices are going way way up. Wages are not keeping up. Even those of us that earn in dollars are feeling the pinch.

I understand Macri is doing what needs to be done, but personally I was a lot better off last year and the year before than I am this year. Just an observation.

Saludos.

Could you expand and give examples on how things have gotten a lot worse for you?

I mean, feeling the pinch is one thing, but things getting worse, I don't see it yet. I am being cautious, expectant, cutting off on food delivery and cooking more at home, but that's about it. Just thinking twice before spending, but really not depriving myself of anything.

I would really like to get concrete examples, because sometimes I think that we are all a bit paranoid.

Things haven't gotten a lot worse for us but they are affecting business in the short-term. With the (long-overdue) cost increases in utilities, I know we are putting off hiring people and have cut down on things. I know lots of business that are down-sizing their staff and the like. That does have trickle down effects which I think we'll see. Unfortunately it is/was necessary but of course it will hurt in the short-term.

It creates confusion on this thread that discusses the Increase in Cost of Living in B.A. when Some Forum Members compare the cost of living here with Stavanger, Norway, NYC, Paris , London or Toronto. :cool:
For people that Live here permanently and many earn pesos, its no relief to learn that elsewhere life is more expensive..! B)

It creates confusion on this thread that discusses the Increase in Cost of Living in B.A. when Some Forum Members compare the cost of living here with Stavanger, Norway, NYC, Paris , London or Toronto. :cool:
For people that Live here permanently and many earn pesos, its no relief to learn that elsewhere life is more expensive..! B)

This may create even more confusion as "on this thread that discusses the Increase in Cost of Living in B.A. " it doesn't look like anyone has mentioned the cost of living in any other city.
emo32.gif

The "governments" who have consistently stlfled exports have almost without exception Peronist including the last one which did every thing possible to render Mercosur non- operative.As Prat -Gay has recently stated the way to Argentina's recovery is thru investment and the development of an export economy.
If we don't see concrete steps in that direction soon,he must be taken to task to explain why this is not happening.
"The economy is going badly" ? The economy is in adjustment .What could be happening is that in Argentina neither the locals nor some of the expats have been used to using countercyclical economics and are not prepared for these changes like in Chile,for example Some examples with neighboring countries are definitely illustrative.
.Of course,with over 30% yearly inflation and a overly generous state acting as a main employer as El expatriado so adroitly points out in the graph you are bound to run into really big economic trouble.And it happened thanks to Kristina,Axel y compañia.

Back